It's Friday Nov. 7th 2014

What's on your agenda?

I'm replacing all of the stove pipe in the shop. Went out yesterday and seen a spot of light shining down from the lip of the reducer section...touched it and my finger poked through :eek: so I'd say it's past time LOL.

Also planning on making a big batch of Boudin :D Had a taste for it for quite some time, as in 25 yrs or so. Back when I worked out of Miss. & also the mid 70's while stationed in Texas{FT Hood}...hope I can come up with something close enough to satisfy the memory glands of the taste buds.

Other than that, some leaf raking and Sunday football.

another super exciting Friday for me........doing absolutely nothing, resting up the knee, getting my gel shot in 3 hours, then doing nothing again.

probably a huge mistake, but the wife and I are headed down the jersey shore tomorrow, and we will see how long my knee will hold out.

We're packing up to head back home from Apalachicola, FL after spending a few days here. We've had enough fresh shrimp, oysters and shopping to last a while!

I'll have shop time Saturday morning doing a little turning and maybe milling some red oak to start an end grain butting board.

Sunday will be a day to catch up on rest, cook some gumbo, and watch the race.

Today is my long day, going to be even longer as the Prius goes under the wrench today, LOF and winter tires... plus an alignment. Ugh. After that, I have two runs for work ending at 3-4 am ish.

Shop time tomorrow is going to be getting stock off of the upper wood rack, and cutting a BUNCH of parts for cutting boards.

Working completely through the weekend. Usually I can get all of Friday and some of Saturday 'off.' Not this week! Holidays coming. Calendar gets jammed and activities in my world really ramp up. May not get to come up for air until after the first of the year. I do love what I do, but a bit of balance is always a good thing. Had my wimpy shade structure self-destruct in the last rains. Cobbled it back together but it will not last another wind or rain event. Trying to work on its permanent solution.

Heading over to some friends place for a few cocktails and BBQ tonight. Tomorrow I hope to get lots of shop time as I decided last minute to join my dad at a craft/art show next weekend and don't have much stock of anything ready to go. Sunday will be some outside time doing something...it's going to get cold next week so we have to enjoy while we can!

Tonight we're watching the grandson, as with all weekend, but have some errands to run tomorrow morning, need to return the mortising attachment, may pickup a dedicated mortiser also. Then I may stop by the brew shop for some supplies. Need to get seats, arms, and tables cut out/shaped on the high chairs and get ready to drill lots of holes. Also need to glue up some stair treads and finish planing them down.

Lots of outdoor jobs, weather permitting. Haven't touched a leaf yet, the pool isn't properly put to bed and there's still a couple of cords of B grade firewood to deal with . Still too much stuff outdoors that really shouldn't be frozen and buried in snow. Need to put the snow tires on the car and service the tractor too. Lots of travel this fall, so we've fallen way behind around home.
If it's too wet, well there's just as long a list inside!

We've had about a foot of rain here in the past couple of weeks and last weekend if you travelled an hour or two due north it was all snow.

Enjoy your weekend everyone. Allen, don't overdo it!

Last edited:
now that Ive met you, jonathan, I wonder how injuries like mine would totally mess up the mix on large properties/farms like you guys have.

My guess is it would be devastating, not being able to properly handle the chores required like changing tires on tractors, moving hay, taking care of whatever livestock......wow,.....Im in pain thinking about it, its a chore for me to walk out and get my newspaper in the morning with the busted up knee, don't want to think about it if I lived on a rural property with tons of things to take care of everyday.

now that Ive met you, jonathan, I wonder how injuries like mine would totally mess up the mix on large properties/farms like you guys have.

My guess is it would be devastating, not being able to properly handle the chores required like changing tires on tractors, moving hay, taking care of whatever livestock......wow,.....Im in pain thinking about it, its a chore for me to walk out and get my newspaper in the morning with the busted up knee, don't want to think about it if I lived on a rural property with tons of things to take care of everyday.

Well, that's a good point Allen. Our boys are far away now, but we're fortunate to have a group of young fellows we can call on for the big jobs like haying and spring clean out who'll happily come for a few hours in exchange for some twenty dollar bills, and refreshments, of course :)

We are at an age where we're re-assessing how (and why)we do some things. Hydraulics and hoists are great inventions and I hope there's an old Bobcat loader in my near future.

If it came to a life-changing illness or injury, some things would certainly have to change. Right now, it's just a lifestyle we enjoy (better than a gym membership!). Bottom line is, it's not our main livelihood so if we had to make changes, although sad, life would go on.

Take care of that knee. "That too, shall pass" as the saying goes, and you'll soon be back to full speed again.

No major plans for the weekend here. Heading out tonight with the wife to catch a set or two of music from my buddies in the Electric Edric Project, the band I sub for occasionally. Looks like Saturday and Sunday will be a combination of lounging around, sightseeing around town (to show the wife more of her new home) and shopping for kitchen and furnishing ideas for the new house.

Hope to spend some of my evening time doing a fret dressing job on one of my guitars, learning some new songs, and playing with kitchen cabinet design ideas.

Sending my daughter off on a Girl Scout field trip this evening and enjoying that time with my girlfriend. Saturday will be a continuing effort of remodeling daughter's room, converting the art room (aka Breakfast nook) into an office, and converting what was office space in my bedroom into off-season training space for the bike trainer. Daughter has a sleepover birthday part Saturday evening and it looks like that'll be time to myself. Sunday? I'm leaving that tagged as unknown for the time being. :)

Other than the normal fall chores, rake, tarp patio furniture, rake, prune trees, rake, touch up house paint, rake, blow out sprinklers, rake, I am working on several more advent candle holders from the plans provided by Dan Noren - thanks Dan!

I needed an easy way to attach the ends to the walnut cross and came up with this jig. I use a few drops of Nexabond CA and leave it in the jig for just 5 min. Works great.
5b9d99fde567758a679adcbbbc0eecec.jpg

Most of my planned shop time this weekend got blasted by other parts of life. Since those parts are also important I try not to see it as an interruption . . . but, its hard :D.