My Latest Attempt

Paul,

You are really getting into the scroll saw thing with a vengeance. How did you get perfect if you didn't have time to practice?

Will your camera let you do black and white pics? Will it let you do it without any grays? There are photographic films that do this. They are used to make stark, dramatic pictures. If your camera will allow it you can take a pic that will only print pure blacks and pure whites---Does that sound like a scroll saw template to you?

1) If your camera cannot do it, can you get a filter for your camera that would produce the effect?
or
2) If you can find 35mm film that takes pics that way, I have a Canon EOS SLR film camera you can have. There are three lenses that go with it.

Let me know, it is yours if you want it. It is in brand new condition, as are the accessories.

By the way, do you need any old toothbrushes for your turning or other things? Or do you remember that conversation a few years ago? It was 2 or 3 hours before you went swimming in the Pacific Ocean.

Enjoy,
JimB

By George, I think he's got it. You have really found your stride in this Paul. Beautiful work. How about a quick presentation of your methods; how you prepare, the thinking process of what you cut first and last, material prep and so forth?

Last edited:
Paul,

You are really getting into the scroll saw thing with a vengeance. How did you get perfect if you didn't have time to practice?

Will your camera let you do black and white pics? Will it let you do it without any grays? There are photographic films that do this. They are used to make stark, dramatic pictures. If your camera will allow it you can take a pic that will only print pure blacks and pure whites---Does that sound like a scroll saw template to you?

1) If your camera cannot do it, can you get a filter for your camera that would produce the effect?
or
2) If you can find 35mm film that takes pics that way, I have a Canon EOS SLR film camera you can have. There are three lenses that go with it.

Let me know, it is yours if you want it. It is in brand new condition, as are the accessories.

By the way, do you need any old toothbrushes for your turning or other things? Or do you remember that conversation a few years ago? It was 2 or 3 hours before you went swimming in the Pacific Ocean.

Enjoy,
JimB

Jim, you are very generous but I have a real nice 35mm camera I no longer use because I also have a digital camera. There is free soft ware on the internet, Gimp and Inkscape that I am slowly learning how to make scroll saw patterns from pictures with. I find the pattern making more challenging than the actual scrolling.

Sorry, I don't remember the conversation you mention, but I don't really remember much of anything anymore.....

Thank you so much for the offer,

And thanks everyone for the nice comments. I setting up to do another one. It is a turkey, very complex, more so than the raccoon was. This one should keep me out of your hair for a long time.

Last edited:
By George, I think he's got it. You have really found your stride in this Paul. Beautiful work. How about a quick presentation of your methods; how you prepare, the thinking process of what you cut first and last, material prep and so forth?

Glenn, I missed this some how. I can do it on the next one I do, won't be much because there is not a whole lot of a "thinking process". I have never been accused of having a thinking process before...:huh::rolleyes:

Thanks again for the nice comments everyone.

That is very nice. What model of scroll saw and blade are you using?

Thank you, Scott. I have an Excalibur 21 which I purchased a few months ago. I use Flying Dutchman 3/0 spiral blades for almost everything. Not everyone like the spiral blades, but once I tried them, I have never gone back to the straight blades. So far I have been only doing the portrait cutting. I am going to do some clocks and other fretwork stuff in the future along with trying some intarsia. I may find the spirals are not the best for that. I hope not because I really like the spirals.