Stain Color vs. Black Diamond Inlay / Color Study

Scott R Smith

Here are four of my color studys for choosing a stain color/tone for my big table (8' x 16') refinishing project.

The table will have several diamond inlays perminantly covering previously bored computer cable openings.

I am pretty comfortable with the basic black diamond design (harkening back to the MadMen times) but in a little more upscale way.

It's just a mahogany diamond, with an off the shelf inlay band of mahogany and maple. Very simple.

I gonna have to make some step panelsto exeriment with the stain (Behlin Stains) colors though, and if I want gloss or semi gloss.

So without further adoo, here are the color studys for you to look at: (comments welcomed :))

medium-stain.jpg Light-Stain.jpg Green-Stain.jpg Dark-Stain.jpg pic-3m.jpg

Looking at only the samples, medium is a good choice, light would be a second. Flooring, lighting, and other features of the room would be a determining factor as well though. I've done piece that color wise worked great when those factors were taken into account, other times where they were moved/reused elsewhere and they lost their luster due to those factors. Just my $.02 :wave:

Another vote for medium. I think it is the surround of the diamond that makes the medium feel best. Variations in the colors of the small surround elements would suit the other colors better to my eye.

Looking at only the samples, medium is a good choice, light would be a second. Flooring, lighting, and other features of the room would be a determining factor as well though. I've done piece that color wise worked great when those factors were taken into account, other times where they were moved/reused elsewhere and they lost their luster due to those factors. Just my $.02 :wave:

Thanks for that pointer. I will make sure to do this.