Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer related question.

Computer related question.

On a laptop cooling pad do fans suck hot air away from the bottom of the laptop or blow cool air against the bottom of the laptop?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Most laptops{Ibelieve} draw air from the bottom and push it out thru vents on the side and/or back. With that being the case, you'd want the cooler to be blowing air towards the laptop....Some coolers if not all{} should be reversable.

Another thing to think about if you're having heating problems, is dust bunnies overcrowding their living space, Blow them buggers out
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Thanks Ken

I vacuumed the dust out so it wouldn't go in any further.

I took my pad apart to clean & lube the fans but forgot which way the fans were installed.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post

I took my pad apart to clean & lube the fans but forgot which way the fans were installed.
    Ha, wait until you get to my age, forget something at least twice a day...and speaking of age, happy 'month ago' belated birthday you sly dog. Missed but not forgotten
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    Most laptops{Ibelieve} draw air from the bottom and push it out thru vents on the side and/or back. With that being the case, you'd want the cooler to be blowing air towards the laptop....Some coolers if not all{} should be reversable.

Another thing to think about if you're having heating problems, is dust bunnies overcrowding their living space, Blow them buggers out
    Guess that's why the cat likes to sleep on my wife's desk behind her computer... a lap top.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

FYI with dust bunnies, nesting kitties and laptops (as in computers).

The fans in a laptop must work efficiently or the computer will fail. I was fortunate recently in that the computer shut itself down before crash and burn due to impacted cooling fans. One fan responded to cleaning and the other needed replacement. I was inconvenienced but not devastated.

Solution: plan annual thorough cleaning done by my computer guru and occasionally blow out dust through the fan ports in the back. Lesson learned!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    FYI with dust bunnies, nesting kitties and laptops (as in computers).

The fans in a laptop must work efficiently or the computer will fail. I was fortunate recently in that the computer shut itself down before crash and burn due to impacted cooling fans. One fan responded to cleaning and the other needed replacement. I was inconvenienced but not devastated.

Solution: plan annual thorough cleaning done by my computer guru and occasionally blow out dust through the fan ports in the back. Lesson learned!

I thought about blowing out the dust & then thought it may push the dust further into the computer. That's why I opted for the vacuum cleaner & sucked it out.

@Bart. I asked about that and he suggested the cans of compressed air. Didn't think the vac had enough 'suck.' And our shop compressed air is too dirty. So, the canned stuff is what he recommended. Right stuff at the right pressure. Price of doing business. On the other hand, when one thinks how close one always is to losing everything in a nano second, a can of compressed air and a regular maintenance schedule is a bargain.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

There are some jobs canned compressed air can't do. This is one of them...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dirty Mockingird 2 800.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	87211
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    There are some jobs canned compressed air can't do. This is one of them...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dirty Mockingird 2 800.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	87211

What is that a shop vac in disguise?