Handcut Dovetail Help

Kevin Sadaj

I'm taking a break from my dovetail jig and Veritas dovetail guide to learn the classic handcut dovetail. The concept of the joint is actually much simpler than jigs, or actually even just using the guide. That is why I lie it so mich. I'm having fun with it but success is alluding me. My major sticking point seems to be cutting in relation to the line.

Do I split the line, cut on the waste side, leave the line intact, leave a shadow of the line? Help please. I'm nearly there but need some tips from those more experienced.

Thank you.

Do you use a marking knife or a pencil? I mark with a knife-pencil line is too wide- saw just short of it with dovetail saw- clean most of waste with scroll saw and then fine tune with SHARP chisels.
Get some sloppy ones under your belt- practice-practice and then a little more practice is the best advise.

Mike Henderson posted a tutorial some time ago here http://familywoodworking.org/forums...orial-full-and-half-blind&highlight=Dovetails, apart from that I would suggest the as Michael did, practice, practice and keep practicing. I used to make a set of dovetails on a scrap piece every day before working on any project, and I posted some pics of all the scraps I made. If one of the IT gurus can find you'll see what I'm talking about. I never seem to be able to find what I'm looking for when using the search engine.

I have been using a pencil, but will start using a marking knife.

Michael, when you say "saw just short of it," what do you mean? So the mark is within the was area, our outside of the waste area?

I have been studying Mike Hendersons page for a couple days now. He explains very well and does top notch work.

I have been using a pencil, but will start using a marking knife.

Michael, when you say "saw just short of it," what do you mean? So the mark is within the was area, our outside of the waste area?

I have been studying Mike Hendersons page for a couple days now. He explains very well and does top notch work.

Leave the line and edge up to it. If you cut to line they usually are loose-especially with pencil. You will get skill and then you probably can go to line. Just do them- You will get better.

image.jpg

On the right I used my Veritas dovetail guide. On the left they are done sung the normal layout method. That way was hard but somehow more satisfyng. I need to work on consistency. I'll get there.

View attachment 87238

On the right I used my Veritas dovetail guide. On the left they are done sung the normal layout method. That way was hard but somehow more satisfyng. I need to work on consistency. I'll get there.

Kevin- looks like pine?? Try practicing on something harder- maple-oak. i hate doing that kind of work in pine or other soft wood. It just will not hold the detail. Ps. looks good for what you are working on.

Kevin- looks like pine?? Try practicing on something harder- maple-oak. i hate doing that kind of work in pine or other soft wood. It just will not hold the detail. Ps. looks good for what you are working on.

Thank you Michael. I had some 2x4s that I cut down for practice. I will practice on some oak, which I have plenty of here at the house. I'm just gonna keep cutting them till I like they way they look. It's funny, I watch the YouTube videos and they make it look easy, effortless. It's hard. I really enjoy it a lot more than using a jig.

Thank you Michael. I had some 2x4s that I cut down for practice. I will practice on some oak, which I have plenty of here at the house. I'm just gonna keep cutting them till I like they way they look. It's funny, I watch the YouTube videos and they make it look easy, effortless. It's hard. I really enjoy it a lot more than using a jig.

i think you will do better with harder wood. Make sure tools are sharp. PS- once you get going- it can be addictive.

Mike Henderson posted a tutorial some time ago here http://familywoodworking.org/forums...orial-full-and-half-blind&highlight=Dovetails, apart from that I would suggest the as Michael did, practice, practice and keep practicing. I used to make a set of dovetails on a scrap piece every day before working on any project, and I posted some pics of all the scraps I made. If one of the IT gurus can find you'll see what I'm talking about. I never seem to be able to find what I'm looking for when using the search engine.

One of these?

http://familywoodworking.org/forums...s-straight-from-the-saw!&highlight=dove+tails

http://familywoodworking.org/forums...-cut-dovetails-exercises&highlight=dove+tails

Toni, someone posted the link to your thread from 2009 on your "journey" towards making excellent dovetails. I really appreciate that you took the time to post your experience with it as well as photos. I'm struggling with mine but habe committed to practice every day as you have. Thank YOU so very much. I will document my progress, too.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Can't believe the same guy (me) did these bad dovetails, and the really good ones ... in the same day. Needless to say, working in my consistency.

I'm following along. As soon as I finish the current project, my next thing is to try to learn to cut dovetails. Yours look great.

Thanks Cynthia. It's totally a worthwhile endeavor. I suffer from Asthma so hand cutting dovetails is not only a quieter pastime but it's better on my asthma, too. I'll keep posting photos to share my progress. What are you working on?

Thanks Cynthia. It's totally a worthwhile endeavor. I suffer from Asthma so hand cutting dovetails is not only a quieter pastime but it's better on my asthma, too. I'll keep posting photos to share my progress. What are you working on?

Kevin, I also have asthma and hope to migrate to mostly hand tools some day. My hand tool skills are very poor. I've learned everything I know (not much) from FWW, and from books and youtube videos. I find that skills with planes and chisels are tough to learn if you don't have a real live person to show you anything. I'm working on built-in bookcases. Lots of them. Working on the finishing trim and shelves now. photo 1[2].JPG

I'd like to learn how to make dovetails. I hear it's practice, practice, practice.

View attachment 87301View attachment 87302View attachment 87303View attachment 87304

Can't believe the same guy (me) did these bad dovetails, and the really good ones ... in the same day. Needless to say, working in my consistency.

Nice job kevin- if you look at handcut DT's on furniture from the 1800's -lots of them look worse then those. they did them fast-they were a utility joint. Not an object of beauty as now........

When I start a new batch of drawers or? I cannot believe how slow I am and by the time I am finishing the last one- I am also amazed at how much faster and better I am. Nothing like a dozen drawers to get in the groove.....

Cynthia, the last few days were bad asthma days. Included a trip to the hospital. Thank God for prayer, my wife, and doctor and nurses. Nice bookshelves.

Michael and Vaughn, thanks for your kind encouragement. Like anything, I gotta put the time in, eh?!