Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pullout tray for the old PU.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

New pullout tray for the old PU.

I got watching things on Youtube, and came across this video.

Anyway, I thought that would make life a lot easier when doing my handyman thing around town. You know when you want a tool it will be at the very front of the box and you have to climb over all the crap you've collected and forgot to take out to get to what you want!!

So anyway, here is my rendition of what is featured in the video. Very similar except I didn't have the money to be buying fixed casters and made my own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1112141458.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	87267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1113140958.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	87268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1113141043.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	87269

The casters took the longest time to make. Scrap wood and 14 bucks in 5/16 bolts with nyloc nuts and a bit of glue.....

Name:	1114141034.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	87270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1114141034a.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	87271

The bottom board with the castors and the pullout tray (don't know what happened to those pixs) went quick. 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, five 2x4x12' and one 2x4x8' and a bunch of screws and about 5 hours labor. Well, 6 if you count the time I had to take the castor board out to trim it to fit between the wheel wells. I did have a friend over to help put the pieces in the truck. The components were heavy. Mostly do to how wet the 2x4's were.

Name:	1114141418a.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	87272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1114141418b.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	87273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1114141430.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	87274

The space in between is wide enough to put a 6 foot step ladder. I do have one in there now along with a couple of extension cords. There is enough height that I can put my Mikita compressor in there standing up. Pretty much done except pick up a few screw eyes so I can have a tie point to secure things from moving around.

The whole project cost about 150 bucks and about 2 1/2 days labor.

Thanks for looking!

What goes around, comes around.

GTA Ontario Canada
    Well done Royall. I know a specific person in Mi that could probably make good use of that in his truck

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Kansas City, Missouri
    That is a great solution Royal, wouldn't have thought to do wooden wheels, but looks like they work well.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

If I would have had the bucks Darren, I'd have bought the 16 casters. I think the 1 1/2" width of the plywood wheel will carry the load OK.. I'll watch them to see how the work out. I may have to sand them a little bit if they swell up in the rainy season here. I was going to put dab of "no seize" lube in the hole but got working away and forgot! That age thing again LOL... I'm just hoping that some of the moisture comes out of the 2 by material so I can move it in and out of the truck if need be. The down side of this set up is, if I want to go camping and dive trip (like next week) there isn't as much room for everything in this configuration. I will love it to death for what I build it for!

Honolulu, Hawaii
    Good Ideer Padnah. You do notice that the truck in the video is a full size truck, with the tops of the bed sides up to his arm pits. (What the heck is up with that?) Either with that topper on it or just trying to reach over to get stuff from the front of the bed, you got it covered. In my truck though, I wouldn't need it. I can reach nearly half way across the bed floor, with both feet flat on the ground. With your topper on your truck, it will be a helpful addition.

Nice job.

"You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Looks great Royall, the only thing I might add is a an end stop board on the end of the tray to keep me from pulling the thing out to far, but that's just me.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Now That's Cool
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Tony, have to have the canopy on the truck.... you know how much it rains on the eastside of my island!!

Don, I've got the blocks already cut for the stops, Just got to tired to add them LOL!

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Sweet solution to a knee-busting problem. Thanks for sharing that and your version makes it very doable for many folks.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Thomasville, GA
    Looks like a great solution, Royall.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.