Setting up dust collector

It looks like Dennis, has his question answered. So if I could add one more question on this thread to save starting another. I have 25 year old version of this Grizzly collector:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-HP-Dust-Collector/G8027

Would this machine be big enough to handle a collection system in a 20x28 shop? Right now it is used on the planner and sometimes on the table saw. I have a Shopvac that I move around for my small tools. Can't afford a bigger machine and afraid to spend the money for ducting, gates, fittings if what I have can't handle it.

Thanks guys.....

I had a 13.5 x 24.5 shop on a Grizzly 2 HP DC with pleated filter I don't think I would go smaller for a bigger shop like yours.

Attachments

• DC3.jpg
    DC3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 9
Years ago, when I lived in the 'country', I'd just take a leaf blower to the shop. Open the doors on either end, put on a respirator and goggles and have at it.

Then go in and take a shower and wash my hair!

The leaf blower is still one of my favorite tools. Easiest way to get a shop very clean.

I also have a HF DC, I added a Wynn Environmental cartridge .5 micron filter and made it a much better DC. But I also run (very cheap) box fan with a 20x20x1 AC filter zipped tied to the back of it. You would be amazed at how much fine dust this little cheap contraption gets..lol...have to change out that that filter about every month, because it literally gets completely clogged up, I can some times shop vac it a little cleanse to get a little longer use, but for the price of those little paper filters, just easier to buy a new one and zip tie it on.. Works like a charm you can easily see when it needs changing. Some times I do my hand sanding right next the fan, with the filter side towards me, like a sideways downdraft table...

Last edited:
I also have a HF DC, I added a Wynn Environmental cartridge .5 micron filter and made it a much better DC. But I also run (very cheap) box fan with a 20x20x1 AC filter zipped tied to the back of it. You would be amazed at how much fine dust this little cheap contraption gets..lol...have to change out that that filter about every month, because it literally gets completely clogged up, I can some times shop vac it a little cleanse to get a little longer use, but for the price of those little paper filters, just easier to buy a new one and zip tie it on.. Works like a charm you can easily see when it needs changing. Some times I do my hand sanding right next the fan, with the filter side towards me, like a sideways downdraft table...

I bought a box of filters to do the same thing and even built a box around my fan, but never put the filters on... guess I need to get off my duff and finish my air cleaner... I've put the fan on a 4x4 pedestal so I can move it around the shop and blow air when i work in the summer... usually have it blowing at my back to blow dust out the doors when they're open... or I could turn it around and let it work like yours as a true filter.