Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ned's Kickstarter Build

Ned's Kickstarter Build

Hi gang, Thought I would have a showcase of just the build part of my kickstarter campaign that Darren mentioned here. The project is still going like gangbusters and I'm about to go full throttle on the build, hence this thread.

Despite my parents' having enough to deal with currently, we got to discussing my project. In my case it was as a diversion, in theirs, they wanted to know I was doing well. My father asked about fulfillment for the project. I told him that truthfully it was going to be hard to get all of the boards I need to make done because the funding won't release until the middle of next month. No way in heck I'm getting all of the boards done in time for holiday shipping if I have to wait until mid december to get the drum sander.
    I was simply floored when they both chimed in with, then we'll get you some money so that you can stop in Williamsport and get the sander on your way home.

I stammered my thanks, and as soon as I can, after my father hits the bank in the morning, I'm going to be rolling north by northwest to the Grizzly showroom. I'm going to roll the dice and hope they don't sell out by tomorrow afternoon... If they do, I'll deposit the $ and place the order. With any luck, I'll be in Lakeport by dinner time with sander in the back of the Prius, just in time to grab a short nap, then head in to work. going to be a LONG day and night of driving. I Know I'll be grabbing some shuteye on the way home from my deliveries. I'll put a sleeping bag in the car.

Oh, you were wondering what sander I'm going to pick up?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g0458.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	87290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	go458b.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	87291
    that's the g0458 18/36" sander which includes built in dust collection (though I'm probably going to hook up my DC and mini cyclone in line just the same). Looking at it, and since except for my benches, lathe and bandsaw all of my tools are mobile, I'm thinking how best to make this mobile as well. At this point, I believe I'm going to figure out a mount on one end of my UTS stand, mounting it so the out feed rollers are just above the top of the stand.

Thanks for looking, check back in the next few weeks for process and whatnot photos.
    -Ned

Sounds great, Ned! That's the sander I figured you were aiming for when your funding kept going up. It looks like a great choice considering price/value.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Sounds great, Ned! That's the sander I figured you were aiming for when your funding kept going up. It looks like a great choice considering price/value.
    its as large as I can a) fit and b) power with my poor electrical system.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    its as large as I can a) fit and b) power with my poor electrical system.
    Since it has its own dust collection built in, can you conserve some power by not attaching to your shop DC?
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I'll try it and see, not sure of the specs on the bag.
    -Ned

Looks like a good choice Ned. Be sure to have one of the boys help you get it moved and setup, 300 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

let's just hope the guy at the showroom will help me put it in the car.
    -Ned

Woo production time! Looking forward to hearing how the new toy works out once you get it rolling.

Definitely hook it up to the DC. You'll save a bunch of time, hassle, and money by keeping the sanding belts clean so they don't get burns. I know this one has a built in impeller, but my limited experience with my 16-32 says the more airflow the merrier (square!!). For your use case some pretty coarse belts would probably be worth the investment as well, like 40-60 grit for initial cleanup and flattening.

Ned's Kickstarter Build

The more I think about it, I think I'm going to simply drive home tomorrow, then get the sander later in the week. I'm going to drive 8 hrs going home, then another 8 for work.

Ned
    -Ned

Ned's Kickstarter Build

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Woo production time! Looking forward to hearing how the new toy works out once you get it rolling.

Definitely hook it up to the DC. You'll save a bunch of time, hassle, and money by keeping the sanding belts clean so they don't get burns. I know this one has a built in impeller, but my limited experience with my 16-32 says the more airflow the merrier (square!!). For your use case some pretty coarse belts would probably be worth the investment as well, like 40-60 grit for initial cleanup and flattening.

Ryan that's my intent... This is more of a production smoother than a finish machine, I need it to even out that last 3/32 or so after the cross cut glue up dries. I used to do that with the planer... Because I didn't have a drum sander....

I may pick up some finer grits, but I have a nice ROS that does a great job.

Ned
    -Ned