Where to sell items

Speaking as a retired marketing exec, it's more a question of how to sell what you have using the sites you're already on. You have to post a lot and network to get lots of likes on Facebook, and you need more stuff in your shop on Etsy. You could get on Twitter, but you still have to be active. People won't buy your stuff if they don't know you exist. It's a question of getting more known in those places where you already have a presence.

Make sure you have enough stuff on ETSY to allow you to rotate your goods in and out of the site. Every time you post a new object it appears on the new listings page, which a lot of people look at and your sales will increase with this exposure. You can also promote an item or all your items for a dollar a week. Both my wife and my son do this with their sites and it works really well...especially at Christmas time. Go to your shop and hit the promote menu for specifics. ETSY will market it for you. The wife spent $7 a week for a couple of months and tripled her sales.

Last edited:
I would agree with Cynthia, you've got to promote yourself on those sites to keep users going there. Looking at your facebook page, looks like you've got some nice looking products, however I didn't see any links to items on your etsy or ebay pages, or anywhere to buy them. I found your Etsy page (https://www.etsy.com/shop/OldYankeeWorkshop) and looks like you're offering some of the same products. What price ranges seem to sell the best for you? What size of items seem to sell best?

I will echo much of what has been said. In addition, you can drive more traffic to your store by using regular updates. Try using a blog and use a linking program (I use Dlvrit - I think that's how they spell i, just do a search on Deliver it to find it). You can set this up to automatically post to your FB, Twitter, Google+, and Linked in accounts every time you publish a blog post. Also, take advantage of the option in Etsy to link to your FB account and it will post new listings automatically to your FB page.

Thanks you for your input! Back in the mid 80's I had a wood business in Mass, never had to advertise, they came looking for me, turned down orders from Home Depot and other companies. Sold that business and now that I retired from the university I'm getting back into it . But looks like it a new type of ball game now..