Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please Evaluate Basement Trimwork

Please Evaluate Basement Trimwork

Would you accept this trim in your home knowing that caulking/painting still needed to be done? Ignore the nail holes. I know they need to be filled.

Attachment 7624

Attachment 7625

Attachment 7626

Attachment 7627

Attachment 7628

Attachment 7629

Wow - bummer. The outside miters and inside miters might be covered with caulk, but really would not be up to my expectations of anyone who calls himself a trim carpenter. The shelf is just inexcusable as is the butt joint. Shouldn't that be a 45 degree scarf joint?And aren't inside miters a no-no? Should this not be a coped joint?
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Rennie, your post mirrored my thoughts as I looked through the pictures. Now, if it was me doing the work.....
    I can't imagine doing a butt joint on floor moulding. 45 or 60 degree scarf. And yes, if painted, filler, sanding smooth, and paint will hide all of this. I know because I've done it, but then I work very cheap on my own projects. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is the floor moulding...the joint is not even...no way filler and sanding are going to take care of that. It will always have an odd look to it. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

it all depends..........what did you pay for?
    if you went with the low bid to save a buck i`d say you got what you paid for........
    if you checked out your trim carpenter in advance and found somebody with a good reputation and track record then i`d ask him/her to make it right.....and no doubt if they`re making a fair wage they will....if not see previous comments........sorry, tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Just to clear up some details.

No, I didn't do it. Yes, this is my house.

I am paying a contractor to finish my basement. This is part of the whole project. The trim is not priced separately.

I am responsible for caulking and painting.

I still owe the contractor a sizable amount for the job.

Knowing all that now, do you think I'm being anal about my displeasure with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post

Knowing all that now, do you think I'm being anal about my displeasure with this?
    I'm probably the wrong one to comment on this question. (See my signature line)
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I'm probably the wrong one to comment on this question. (See my signature line)
    I noticed that before. I graduated from the same institution.

Oh, I should also mention that you work for me, Rennie.

-Rob (Weyerhaeuser Stockholder)

rob, if your contract states that all work will be preformed to "industry standards in a workman like manor" then i`d insist that the contractor meet his obligations........either way by holding the purse strings you have leverage....and lots of it! try talking with the contractor and see what you can work out?.......most folks will go out of their way to insure pleased clients...tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    it all depends..........what did you pay for?
    if you went with the low bid to save a buck i`d say you got what you paid for........
    if you checked out your trim carpenter in advance and found somebody with a good reputation and track record then i`d ask him/her to make it right.....and no doubt if they`re making a fair wage they will....if not see previous comments........sorry, tod
    Got to agree with Tod on this one. I might be the wrong one to ask about this since I do all the trim work in the homes I build....it is not reflective of the work I do, but it is of some of the competition I have to bid against.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

I would speak with the General Contractor about the issue if you have not done so already. If he is a "Good" contractor who cares about his reputation, I would think he would try to make you happy.

The quality of work is sub-standard in my opinion. The baseboards are terrible and I dont need to get started on the shelf, thats just plain lazy on the part of the installer.

Good luck,