Don Pencil still in business?

Welcome, Marc. Glad you found us and hope you post some of your work. I have not ordered from Don in years. His site has been a perennial subject of discussion on several woodworking sites. It appears that orders are hit or miss and you best not be in a hurry or expect a lot of communication. Why risk it when so many others are working hard to earn your business? Good luck with your order.

I've not ordered from him, but from what I've read everything that Ted mentioned is true. You might try calling to confirm whther you will get what you've ordered, but it might be best to cancel and move on to another supplier.

I've had hit or miss success ordering from Don. I'll second the suggestions to call him. As I recall, he spends part of the year in a second home, and sometimes does not get to his email on a regular basis. I do like his products, particularly his "scratch and blem" faceplates and his buffing supplies. (Not that sold on his hollowing tools. There are better ones on the market.)

Well I called him and just get a recording, so I guess we will see how long it takes to fill the order.
Thanks for the returns guys.

Cheers,
Marc

I think Don has things drop shipped off his web site... I order his hollowing systems (and while I like parts of it, I think it has too many little parts) and when I received my package which came in a timely nature, it was the wrong item... what I got was his buffing system with a packing list with another's name and address... when I called, I got recording also, but left message... received a call back pretty soon afterwards.... He was very gracious, but also seemed amused I got the wrong order... I offered to send it along to the correct party, but he said to keep the buffing system and he would see that I got my hollowing system... I did and he did... probably get more use from the buffing system than from the hollowing one.

My package came out of California and I think he lives in the Pacific Northwest... not sure though.

Here is an Update guy's:

It's now been a few days shy of 1 month since I ordered my items. Unless they are on the slow boat from china, looks like I got stuck for about $132 and change. I'd be careful ordering from the site. Looks like there is zero comms too. Tried both phone and email but no luck. Barring a personal friend seeing this I guess Mr. Pencil will not ship my gear. So sad too. I have heard great things about him an his stuff in the past. He must be retired or possibly sick or something. I can understand it but, a note on the website or phone would be helpful. Maybe a callback from the several messages I left. He must have one hell of an inbox. Does not seem to get full. Perhaps take the site down till you want to sell again. Oh well I will chalk this one up to experience and move on. I'll be calling my credit card company. Thanks for any help you guys gave. Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Marc

Thanks for the update and the heads-up, Marc. No communication from a vendor for nearly a month sure warrants a call to the credit card company. Being out of touch for that long at a stretch is uncharacteristic for Don. I do hope he's OK.