Predatory Marketing

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I wonder how one gets a viral post going?

I am really getting tired of pop-up videos from a vendor simply because, out of curiosity, I looked at a sample of their wares in another context. I am about to fire off an email to the CEO of said company before roasting them on FB. Do I get to name names in a pubic forum? If we all got to do that, these marketing practices would likely stop. In my case, I will tell said CEO why he won't get the sale from me and why this particular vendor is on my permanent 'do not buy from' list!

There! I feel a little better. But I'd still like to this go viral.

Last edited:
I definitely take the time to let people know why I will avoid them at all costs in the future. Wood magazine is an example of a good product who's web presence is killing them. So many pop-ups. To add insult to injury, you have to log on and respond to a poll in order to leave them feedback. If I was irritated enough to leave them feedback in the first place, imagine how colorful I became after having to fight my way through two more levels of the stuff I am complaining about in order to complain!?!

I try to leave feedback, good and bad, as this should help steer folks towards an understanding of what their customer base are like. Predatory Marketers like Telemarketers and door-to-door solicitors are vacuous trolls (or the mindless minions of vacuous trolls) and cannot be trained or ever hope to earn a place in polite society.

To quote you "There! I feel a little better." Thanks.

A coworker was commenting on how he friended one of his old classmates, who is now a body builder. Facebook has decided that body building is my coworker's passion now and every ad that shows there is for making something bigger on his body, except his wallet.

I peeve is the mass marketing postal mails, I've gotten into the habit of returning their postage paid envelops to them empty, (after marking out the tracking bar codes with a black marker), so they can pay for their annoyance twice.

Anything that may put those kinds of cookies, etc. on my systems, I tend to use an anonymous browser window. They don't need any more marketing info, and I don't Friendface (who gets the reference or has seen the video), to start a viral antimarketing campaign.