Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Want a What?

You Want a What?

So, when LOML returned from a visit to her mother a few weeks ago, she brought back something that caught her eye and that she just knew I could duplicate. I took a look at it and, of course, said "Yes, Dear".

Here's the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thimbles_1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	87394

Yep. Thimbles! Now, you guys and gals know I'm still really a novice at turning but my wife only knows that I can do "anything". So, my model for this project was the thimble in the middle - her mother's. But, it's a little too large for Bobbie's finger, so I had to make some tweaks. I used a 1/2" standard drill bit to make a hole a bit less than an inch deep. Then, I eased a taper along the inside to make it about 9/16" at the opening. After a little sanding to smooth it up, she had a perfect fit.

By the way, the materials are walnut and curly maple. The thimbles I made are in order from left to right around the original from Bobbie's mother. I played around with burning lines using a piece of wire. Needless to say, Bobbie is happy with all of them. After all, how many people get to say they have a "custom" thimble?

Now for a stealth tool gloat. I worked on one thimble using my regular lathe tools, a spindle set. It was kinda touchy for me, so I used this as a reason (excuse) to order a set of small tools. These are a bit over 10" long; the gouge closest to the camera is 1/4" wide. After sharpening, they worked great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LatheToolsSmall.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	87393
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Cool little project Bill. So was the wire braided or just a straight piece?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

My Mom was an avid thimble collector. She would have loved those. Very nice.
    "We the People ......"

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Nicely done Bill, M.I.L. & Bobbie get theirs and that leaves you 3 to host some shell games Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shellgame.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	87396

Worthy gloat
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Nicely done man. Bill is this set from pennstate? They look just like the set I won when we had the beauty and the beast contest, over on WTU. Nice little set if they are.

Good stuff Bill,

I did a passle of thimbles a while back bit there was one part I never figured out which was how to finish the outside of the ends properly. My basic strategy was to turn a piece mostly round then chuck it up, drill the hole, shape the inside of the hole and most of the outside and part it off. At that point I used a compression chuck I turned from a chunk of wood and shoved the thimble over it, brought up the tail stock and turned as much as I could then pulled back the two stock and finished the nib. That last part was always a problem as the slanted inside of the thimble wouldn't catch the compression chuck very well and it would pull loose.

So basically wondering how you did the finish work so I can steal any ideas you have

Those are pretty slick, Bill. Now I can't even throw a tiny piece of wood away.

Cool. I like the use of mixed woods. Nicely done, Bill.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Very cool Bill!! This may help you if you make more in the future
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Cool little project Bill. So was the wire braided or just a straight piece?
    All I had when I did these was some straight wire used for electronic work. I have since acquired a couple of busted guitar strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Nicely done man. Bill is this set from pennstate? They look just like the set I won when we had the beauty and the beast contest, over on WTU. Nice little set if they are.
    Yep, the set is from PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Good stuff Bill,

I did a passle of thimbles a while back bit there was one part I never figured out which was how to finish the outside of the ends properly. My basic strategy was to turn a piece mostly round then chuck it up, drill the hole, shape the inside of the hole and most of the outside and part it off. At that point I used a compression chuck I turned from a chunk of wood and shoved the thimble over it, brought up the tail stock and turned as much as I could then pulled back the two stock and finished the nib. That last part was always a problem as the slanted inside of the thimble wouldn't catch the compression chuck very well and it would pull loose.

So basically wondering how you did the finish work so I can steal any ideas you have
    I did pretty much as you described, Ryan. After parting it off, I used a jam (compression?) chuck I turned from a piece of oak. I used a piece of blue tape to keep the thimble steady while I eased off the nib and scooped out the end a little. If I were going to produce more of these critters, I'd probably make a chuck with a rubber cone to hold the thimble.

Lest I forget, thank you to Ken for having an excellent suggestion, as always!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station