Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6" Jointer Knife Change

6" Jointer Knife Change

The Bradley Boys are at it again. They let neither lack of skill, misunderstanding of purpose or gaps in skill-set stay them from their task.

Here we have a perfectly innocent jointer (circa 1940's). Its only crime is having seen some decent amount of use since the last knife change. The Bradley Boys descend on the poor beast. Although on casters it is not nimble enough to navigate the craftily congested garage shop and so we catch it.

Attachment 87406

Glenn takes a piece of glass and sticks it in place with some 3/4" magnets. The baggies make it easier to pick the magnets up when we're done. There are also two 1" magnets that are taped right up near the edge of the glass. They are taped as when the glass is moved out to the position we require, the magnets try to move back toward the outfeed table where there is more meat to magnetize toward (is that correct use of that term?). Before sliding the glass (and therefor the magnets) into position, the old knives are removed (no that's not rust, that's mahogany sawdust) and the knives fresh from the sharpener's are installed "pinky-tight".

Attachment 87397Attachment 87398Attachment 87399Attachment 87400

The gib and knife are positioned left to right. The glass is then slid so that the 1" magnets are over top-dead-center. Glenn uses a white pencil to make a mark as a visual queue for TDC to make things quicker when the head is rotated to the next knife. The "pinky-tight" gib screws are loosened and the knife jumps up against the glass thanks to the magnets. The gib screws are then snugged. Repeat for the other two knives.

Attachment 87402Attachment 87401Attachment 87403

Check that each of the knives just brushes the underside of a reference tool held over TDC. Now go back around and tighten all the gib screrws

Attachment 87404

Adjust the infeed table for a light cut and grab a piece of irregular stock out of the bin. A test run is done till two perpendicular side are completely milled. A machinist's square finds the Bradley Boys satisfied.

Attachment 87405

We will use the nice newly sharp jointer tomorrow when we make vise jaws for a vise addition to the workbench.
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 11-22-2014 at 05:37 AM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Those Bradley boys...always caught up in some type of caper. I've always thought the glass and magnet trick was brilliant. Thanks for posting the pics.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Neat! Wonder if that works with the bench top planer. I need to change mine. Never did it before.

Which is why.....never mind!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

pretty cool trick!
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

Do you make house calls? I've got a nicked blade in my jointer that I've been avoiding for ages... (justkeep sliding the fence over!)

Who am I kidding, I'm daydreaming about a fire sale on Byrd jointer heads...
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Great tutorial. I have not yet changed the blades on my jointer and they are probably past do. I will bookmark this this thread to study again before I give it a try.
    "We the People ......"

I will just add that this is one of those things that, if you get prepared before you approach it, is pretty easy to do. I definitely put 'changing jointer knives' in the category of "why did I wait so long!?!". I have found a great many things are not as all-involved as we may think. There are still plenty that are . . . . but this is not one of them .
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Second what Jim just said. Glenn told me about this trick some time back and it just does not get easier.

Ok so now Glenn can u come up with some way i can make power happen from none. Cant run my jointer till i move.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Ok so now Glenn can u come up with some way i can make power happen from none. Cant run my jointer till i move.
    You mean you've never seen one of those Gilligan's Island bicycle generators before!?! Whip one up out of some scrap bamboo and jungle vines, set one of your kids on it and go to town.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Awesome job, Mr. Bradley.

By the way, you are a hero.
    Kevin

In arte voluptas - in der Kunst liegt Vergnügen - in art lies enjoyment