Round Table from Hungary c.1910

Is it standing on those blondish blocks, or are they actually part of the leg? Not liking it much if they are, Maybe with a matching band/inlay around the carving and the glass :dunno:

I like it but the Mrs says "no way" :eek: she doen't favor glass due to fingerprints and thinks the slots in the legs will just be dust collectors....
Pretty picky eh, considering she married me :rofl:

Ken, I probably wouldn't have it either because I have a 10 year old. :D

Yes, the blondish block are part of the legs. From the poor photos I had to work with, it looks like they are wood but I suppose they could be brass. That wouldn't have been uncommon back then. I agree there could be similar blocks on top of the legs, too, but that's not how the original was made and I wasn't trying to re-engineer the table. At least not at this point.

The grain direction of the wood on the top ring is surprising/interesting. I'm guessing it would have to be veneer over a substrate going the other direction to work at all.

Here's one with brass feet. They could use a bit of polishing. :D

The brass feet would be an interesting thing to make. I also got to thinking about how I'd make the legs if I were going to build this. The outer and inner faces are rounded to match the curve of the table top. I've got an idea for a jig to use with a router. Anyone else?

I'd probably cheat and just bevel the edges on the joins for the strips and spacing blocks and then clean it up a bit to match on the outside, it wouldn't take but a few minutes with a profile sanding block. That would leave a bit of an angle on the inside but I don't think it would be highly noticeable.

Possible, but that seems like it would be a lot harder to make as one piece... Interesting I hadn't even considered making them as one piece :D

I think if you grain matched the strips somewhat carefully it would be hard to tell - and I suspect that the carving would even help hide it some.