Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Very Blue

So Very Blue

My wife's friend's daughter is in art school, she is doing her thesis, and she needs a blue chair and table for a photo shoot, and of course she needs it like yesterday.

Now you know my lovely wife volunteered my services right?

I don't mind, the young lady is a very nice gal and we are good friends with the family.

Now to give me some idea I got these pictures (sic) of what she wants......

Sure, no problem

The table is says should be 60cm x 60cm and about waist height, the chair should be "square" and match the table in for the height to sit at.

OK I can work with this, paint grade, most likely just plywood, it has to be painted blue.

If plywood is OK, I have enough on hand to do this easily and I should be able to knock it out tomorrow, don't know if I'll be painting it or she will.

She will drop by tomorrow to give me more details, should be fun
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 11-23-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Good of you to step up Stu.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Stu,
    You are soooo easy , but in the nicest way

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    way to go stuart, Don't know about over there but the table height standard for over here is 28"
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Yer a good Boy Stu
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Thank you all for your kind words.

The young lady, Saki, is a very nice girl, and she works hard at both work and school, so I don't mind helping out.

We got the details mostly worked out, I'm to complete the table and chair by Thursday evening, it is now Monday night, sorry it is now Tuesday morning, should be able to do it, the construction will be all plywood, as it is paint grade. I have the color samples that I'll paint onto a sample board for her, and then I'll paint the table and chair the color she wants.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Been busy, I've not had the time to devote to this I should have, so tonight I'm burning the midnight oil.

Some pics

this is how I glue the legs together, I don't remember where I learned this tape trick but it works.

I put a square piece in the back, to glue and then I shot a few brads in to hold things while the glue dries.
    Very quick and simple.

One leg done

Four legs done

From there I just made a quick skirt to attach to the bottom of the tabletop and glued the legs on, again a couple of brads to hold things while the glue dries.

I added the clamps to make sure that the legs stay square.

The table is for a photo shoot, not for real life, I think it is too small and is a bit top heavy, but we shall see what she says tomorrow.

The edges of the tabletop will get a thin strip of wood to hide the end grain, then some light sanding and painting, and on to the chair.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

I'm using a camp stool beside my TV chair at the moment, to hold my cup of tea and stuff. A table like that would be ideal!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

That has nice lines. good design, considering you started with a kind of almost cartoon pic.

It looks very nice. A pair of them would not be out of place alongside a bed.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Looking good Stu, and good on ya for taking it on such short notice
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else