So Very Blue

Stuart Ablett

My wife's friend's daughter is in art school, she is doing her thesis, and she needs a blue chair and table for a photo shoot, and of course she needs it like yesterday.

Now you know my lovely wife volunteered my services right? :D

I don't mind, the young lady is a very nice gal and we are good friends with the family.

Now to give me some idea I got these pictures (sic) of what she wants......

IMG_8767.JPG

IMG_8768.JPG

Sure, no problem :D

The table is says should be 60cm x 60cm and about waist height, the chair should be "square" and match the table in for the height to sit at.

OK I can work with this, paint grade, most likely just plywood, it has to be painted blue.

If plywood is OK, I have enough on hand to do this easily and I should be able to knock it out tomorrow, don't know if I'll be painting it or she will.

She will drop by tomorrow to give me more details, should be fun :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind words.

The young lady, Saki, is a very nice girl, and she works hard at both work and school, so I don't mind helping out.

We got the details mostly worked out, I'm to complete the table and chair by Thursday evening, it is now Monday night, sorry it is now Tuesday morning, should be able to do it, the construction will be all plywood, as it is paint grade. I have the color samples that I'll paint onto a sample board for her, and then I'll paint the table and chair the color she wants.

Cheers!

Been busy, I've not had the time to devote to this I should have, so tonight I'm burning the midnight oil.

Some pics

IMG_8778.JPG

this is how I glue the legs together, I don't remember where I learned this tape trick but it works.

IMG_8779.JPG

I put a square piece in the back, to glue and then I shot a few brads in to hold things while the glue dries.
Very quick and simple.

IMG_8780.JPG

One leg done

IMG_8781.JPG

Four legs done

IMG_8782.JPG

From there I just made a quick skirt to attach to the bottom of the tabletop and glued the legs on, again a couple of brads to hold things while the glue dries.

IMG_8784.JPG

I added the clamps to make sure that the legs stay square.

IMG_8785.JPG

The table is for a photo shoot, not for real life, I think it is too small and is a bit top heavy, but we shall see what she says tomorrow.

The edges of the tabletop will get a thin strip of wood to hide the end grain, then some light sanding and painting, and on to the chair.

Cheers!

That has nice lines. good design, considering you started with a kind of almost cartoon pic.

It looks very nice. A pair of them would not be out of place alongside a bed. :)

Well I'm making progress....

IMG_8790.JPG

So you can see the structure under the seat.

IMG_8791.JPG

The seat and the back are not done yet, also I want to add another piece of wood on either side of the vertical back support, but I've used up a whole sheet of plywood and it is now almost 5AM and I need to get some sleep, tomorrow I'll get another sheet out of storage and cut the last two pieces.

IMG_8792.JPG

The color sample board I made for her, she can choose. I painted the wood white first, then one coat of blue paint.
She will also have to make some decisions on the seat and back, for example does she want rounded corners or....?

Cheers!

Looking good, Stu. :thumb: Regarding the plywood edge that you're planning to cover with a thin strip of wood...would it be faster to just hit it with something like spackling compound or drywall mud before painting it?

Well this has taken way too long, but other things have popped up, so now I'm finally getting this finished.

IMG_8819.JPG

Now I want to put a couple of clear coats on them, as the latex paint is not exactly tough.

She wants a matte finish, so I'll have to knock down the clear coat with some steel wool, but that is not a big deal.

Cheers!

They are indeed very blue and look MUCH better than the diagram you were supplied :doh:. Those should work out great for her