Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: looks like no heat for me in the shop

looks like no heat for me in the shop

Theres no gas lines in the garage as I first thought.

Id have to have a line run from my crawl space, cut up blacktop and dig a trench in yard, run the line into the back of the garage, and the cost of all of this might not be worth it, especially with the nosy neighbor most likely going to report me to the local authorities when he sees them working on it.

I torn, Im just waiting on a price for total job labor included.

In the past 6 years of me working with hardwoods, I only remember last winter being rough to be outside most of the days.

I don't need it 65 degrees, 50 is good enough, I can work in 45 degrees.

have to give it some thought until he calls me with price, he wants to do it right away as the ground will be frozen soon.
    Human Test Dummy

I'm sure you've already considered it, but is upgrading the electrical service out of the question? Gas heat is best, but electric heat is better than none.

Also, regarding the nosy neighbor, is there a reason you can't get a permit to have the gas work done? That way, when the nosy neighbor complains, you can tell him to go pound sand since you're not doing anything illegal.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

In some states it is illegal for the homeowner to do their own gas work even IF you COULD get a permit.

Mass is one of those states. I dunno who voted that law in - but it was not me.

Though I have done plenty of gas work myself - I just don't like to and I hire it out. I feel better about it too.

If anything happens - THEY - are liable

If you do your own work in a place where it is illegal and there is any sort of problem - even unrelated to gas.............. Well, I will just say - I do NOT want to argue THAT case in court against the insurance company.

Having a licensed gas guy do it, and let they take the liability ---- SMALL, price to pay in my opinion.

So - dig the trench for the guy - and back fill the trench. Make the way easy for the installer - it will be less expensive that way.
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 11-24-2014 at 10:40 PM.

here ya go allen. www.ultimategarageheater.com, my dad has one vented out the one window in his garage. just need a decent size propane tank.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I'd consider the electric option also. Spend the extra to tighten up the walls and seal out the air flow where you can. Take for instance my shop's office. Took the time to insulate it and seal up the door/window well and the computer's power supply can keep it warm in there on the coldest of days, though I still have a space heater running on the lowest setting that kicks on time to time. Now when talking "heated" vs. "comfortable", depends on your tolerance, but could probably get where a couple of space heaters do the job if the heat isn't leaving the room. Second benefit to sealing it up and using electric is adding A/C for the summer when you need it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

leo, dig trenches?
    My fingers look like I put them through a meat grinder, and that's only from doing lathe work the past few weeks.
    My knee is holding on by a thread, my back is always bad, and I deal with a neuromuscular disorder daily.
    Nah, if I went for this expense, let him worry about digging the trench, which has to go through my blacktop.

Upgrade electrical service?

I inquired about all that years ago when I wanted 220 out there.
    My house is 100 amp service, as is all the homes in my area.
    If you want 200 amp, you must file a variance, which costs a small fortune., Get it approved, and then Im sure the cost for the electrician would be high, and I don't think my current panel could handle an upgrade, not to mention the entire panel would have to be moved. a really, really big expense, and problem in my tiny home.
    I ruled out electrical upgrading years ago.
    I do not need the village inspecting my home and electrical service, they don't take kindly to garage workshops. Been there, don't that.

I had a tough winter last year, I hardly got any shop time in, it was a record breaking cold year last year, first time in the 8 years Ive been out there that I couldn't get much time in.
    within 3 - 4 years, I will probably be spending my winters in a place like Arizona, Nevada, or new mexico, dry , and not so cold.

Im not sure how I want to go, as much as I want heat, I don't feel the expense is necessary for the little time I might be out there anyway at least this winter with my bad knee.

Its troubling me greatly. I usually make decisions quick and easy.
    Last edited by allen levine; 11-25-2014 at 12:08 AM.
    Human Test Dummy

Maybe a small wood stove?

if I cant hang it on the wall or ceiling, it aint gonna fit.
    I have to bring my drum sander into the shop next week and I have to figure out what to move out to make enough space.
    Human Test Dummy

propane is expensive here. probably cost me 10 dollars a day to heat with propane.

its cruddy living in Nassau county if you want to have a nice hobby like woodworking.

if you don't have 200 amp service and enough land, its tough.

I know a lot of contractors and people who like to play with machines, and they all have the mishmash garage tool assortment, and do most of their work outdoors on their driveways during the warmer months.
    I know one guy who does scroll work and band saw work, he works in his basement.
    Last edited by allen levine; 11-25-2014 at 01:33 AM.
    Human Test Dummy

Allen, it seems to me you're overthinking this. I haven't seen your garage, other than a few pictures and your description. A couple of hundred dollars of insulating and weatherstripping would go a long ways. Then one or two small space heaters would keep you in the comfort zone and keep stuff from freezing on the coldest nights. They just run on 110v. What's the coldest it gets there, really?
    If using small space heaters, get a good quality one, of course and place them away from combustibles.
    Basically, what Darren said.
    Last edited by Peter Rideout; 11-25-2014 at 01:56 AM.