Bench Shots/Weekend doins time

Jeff Horton

Time to post those bench shot and talk about what Chew-up-to this weekend.

Unless you don't read the Old Iron section you know whatsup with me. The Great Pumpkin restoration. Working on that today. So no bench shot. Well maybe I could take one of the temp bench with all the pumpkin parts on it. :D

Saturday the wife and I are working with "Serving the City as One" The Churches have come together to do community service for the day. The team we are one will be removing old gutters and repairing the fascia on a house. I have always wanted to do this and finally have the chance. I think it will a rewarding day. Lot of other programs going on help those in need.

Sunday is church and probably some more pumpkin painting. ;)

Jeff

Since I finally got one bench "perfectly" flat I decided to build another one as I figured that it would be much easier now that I have something flat to build it on. I was supprised to find that the new one did not come out perfectly flat as I had expected even though I had taken every effort to make sure that it was clamped to the flat surface at all times. Across the three foot width it is flat but along the six foot length about two thirds toward one end to has a dip of about .020 of an inch. I am going to start a new thread entitled "How Flat Does An Assembly Bench Need To Be?".

dscf0004-1.jpg

...still working on a small entertainment centre. The apron is glued and clamped and ready for the final assembly this weekend.

DSCN4272.JPG

For the 4th weekend in a row my Festool MFT has a bench under contsruction sitting on it:

DSCN7475.JPG

I might get a little more done on the bench this weekend, but the bulk of the time will be spent doing some heavy work in the revanp of our front garden.

It's ON THE FLOOR! :rofl:

Now if I can just get the shelves and top on it I can put some of this junk I've got all over the place away. :thumb:
I need to add some cross braces along the desk top end. I'll just use my trusty finish nail gun. No one will know with the apron on there. :huh:

100_1505.jpg

100_1503.jpg

And ..... I finally got the Planer put together. After I move everything to it's final parking place, I'll be able to play with it.

100_1502.jpg

100_1501.jpg

Thank goodness for Wheels!! :thumb:

DT

Taking to the air on sunday, heading for Bethesda Md (DC suburb)for training next week on the new job. Tomorrow I'll be helping the LOML's fire company take this down:
P3040066.jpg

the heavy snows back in March were the figurative straw that broke the camel's back. their field day food pavilion is going to be replaced.
P3040067.jpg

now that we're just dealing with muddy conditions, it is going to be 'tear down' weekend, complete with cookout over the coals when they burn the remains down.

My "work bench" is the kitchen countertops for a while. I'm adding framing to ad strength to the cabinet carcass before the granite is brought in. This is my Kreg pocket hole jig connected to my Festool CT22 via a section of plastic tube I use. I got the hose at Ace Hardware, and it works on several tools that have the same OD as the CT22 hose tip.

View attachment 7655

View attachment 7656

I should have all the kitchen/bath cabinets ready for measuring and templates to be made by Sunday night.

Last edited:
Well for most of this weekend I will be shoveling dirt.....:( I have a truck load coming tomorrow. Going to be re-seeding part if not most of the lawn.

I did manage to sneak down to the shop to get a good start on my shop built air filter. I took alot of pictures of the progress along the way. I will be putting them up in their own thread, hopefully some time this weekend.

I also had to build a circle jig for my router as part of this project. I'll put the picture of that up too. It is not very flashy, but it did a good job on the fan housing for the air filter.

Attachments

• filter01.jpg
    filter01.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 38
  • filter02.jpg
    filter02.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 26
  • filter03.jpg
    filter03.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 34
Ok, you talked me into it. This is my bench shot for the weekend. (I'll have more tomorrow!!) This is my weekend project. DSCN1450.jpg Got the materials on my way home from work mid day. 4X4 Douglas fir for the outside legs. 2X6 apron for the back and sides. Double 2X4 header style (with OSB sandwich) for the front. I have to shorten the depth some so I can split the masonite sheet in two for a sacrificial top and have an extra one. The top base will be 2-2X10s and 1-2x8 on their sides. there will be 5 cross braces under the top, 2 at the ends and 3 spaced out in the center. I'm still trying to decide about a stretcher at the lower middle, and still need to let in some 2X4 braces at the lower sides. I have to add a little to the bottom of the legs to accept the adjustable feet I'll be putting on them. I'll show all that tomorrow. Jim.

Spent the weekend helping LOML and her mom with a garage sale so, no shop time for me. On the other hand, I got rid of quite a bit of stuff I didn't need and my jointer piggy bank got fattened up a bit ;-)