...speaking of hand planes

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I am looking for a radius plane, a shoulder plane, and a #7. Nothing like that is available here in the west. People toss that stuff before moving here. So if you folks in the Midwest with better access would be willing to look out for me, I would love you for it! I can fettle. Users only. No show pieces. Thanks.

By radius plane, I'm assuming you mean something like a #20 or a #113?

For a shoulder plane, how wide? A #92, 93, or 94 would be your best (cheapest & most plentiful). The 92 is narrowest at half an inch, and seems to be the most plentifully available. 94s are fairly rare, so more expensive.

I'll be on the lookout for you, but it's full-on winter here, so not many yard sales or flea markets to pick from until spring.

Thanks, Jim.

Yes, the #113 is on my list. I have often done circular work and wished I had that plane. I expect to do some in the new house. Any shoulder plane will help. The #7 mostly because. :) Next spring and summer will be fine. Would be nice to bring them into a new shop next year.

And, yup, it is winter everywhere, just more in some places! Personal observation of Buffalo this past week is that if I were there, I would have though I had died and wonder what happened to the opposite of heaven, which I consider to be a bit warmer. :rofl:

Here, in the forties at night and that is way too cold for this wuss. A winter phenomenon here is warm sun but nippy air in the winter. Like deserts everywhere in the winter.

I don't know how often you would use it, or how big your projects might be, but a round bottomed spokeshave may fill your needs. I have just purchased a round bottom Stanley for $25, for some inside curves on a project.

BTW, it was 2ºC in my truck this morning, and overnight the 100 km/hr winds blew down a section of my fence, which I am repairing today. It's been as low as -8. We live with it. We're Canadians, eh?