Router screws hole pattern?

I have a Dewalt router DW621, and I want to make a couple of different sub bases for it. As it is of the asymetrical type I wonder wether any of you has the measures of the screws distribution in relation to the center of the bit?

I know I can measure them but if I knew the measures given by the maker I believe that the whole thing would be more precise.

Thanks in advance.

Even easier is transferring the hole centers with transfer punches. Here we get them at Harbor Freight, a whole set by 64's through 1/2" for ~$10. There you might try finding just the one size you need. Remove the router base plate from the router. To get concentricity with the center of the bit, make a template. Use a piece of dowel the same size as the center hole. Attach that to template material. Tape it together with the new plate material and transfer the holes you need. Mark the hole locations with the transfer punch. Drill the appropriate size hole in the new plate material. Voile! Bob's yer uncle. May also be discussed in my book, but I no longer member.

I also use brad point drill bits as transfer punches. I select the drill that just fits the hole and rotate it by hand while I tap it with a small hammer. The resulting mark is a centered dimple with a circle around it just like a bulls eye. I go even more fundamental and double stick tape the original base to a piece of hardboard. I use this to align the drill press and drill the holes. I then have a template for making more bases of varying types; offset, teardrop, large hole, template collar, etc.

My most used base is an offset that puts the handle and some bearing surface out on the material when edge profiling:

pr20_subbase1.jpg

Another one that gets used more than I thought it would is a flush-trimming base. The example is just a piece of wood held in the bench vise but, the base allows me to bring edge trim (or anything else) flush with the surface the router is resting on. The sort of triangle piece comes off with three screws and leaves me a teardrop offset base.

Router Flush Trim 2.jpg . Router Flush Trim 5.jpg . Router Flush Trim 4.jpg . Router Flush Trim 7.jpg

On my list of to-do's is a D-handle sort of base to simulate the built-in pistol grip of D-handle routers.

Mil d handle.JPG

Last edited:
"On my list of to-do's is a D-handle sort of base to simulate the built-in pistol grip of D-handle routers."

Plans in my book, Glenn. Handle pattern and tear drop base.

As your Dad would say,"Enjoy."

Rob, dowel centers will work from a template made for them but not from the original base plate as the original holes are not large enough. For Toni's router, the holes are much smaller. The eccentric base plates are the more difficult to do, because the router bit hole has to be placed first. That's why a dowel the size of that hole attach to a template gives a good start. Simply mill that hole in the new base material first. Then drop the base plate over it and mark the screw holes. That didn't make the book. Sorry, some stuff hit the 'cutting room floor.'

Last edited: