Delta Scroll Saw Crashed

Charles Hans

I was in the shop yesterday working on the Turkey napkin holders, using my old Delta scroll saw when I heard a loud "POP":eek: and some parts went flying. Well upon inspection I saw that the tension lever broke, which was cast aluminum i believe. Disgusted, I came upstairs and searched for repair parts with no luck All parts are obsolete as are many Delta parts from what I have been reading.
So I thought I would search craigslist, Well as luck would have it there was a Dewalt 788 listed for less than half price over in Cincinnati I called and it was still there. It looks and runs like new the guy said it was in his pastors basement and it had only been used four or five times, and he had just listed it yesterday morning. Needless to say it came home with me.:beer: I don't usually have that kind of luck, but the timing was perfect. Got it set up this morning, made my cuts, and needless to say, I wish I would have had a saw like this a long time ago. I see some Intarsia in my future for sure.

That DeWalt is a great saw. I never had a bit of problem with mine. Congrats. I sold mine to the first guy that looked at it. He just pulled out the cash, no quibble on price. I had to ask him if he wanted me to show him it ran.

Last edited:
When I went out researching a scroll saw I found that they are pretty much grouped in price ranges.

I am a bit obsessive when I do this research stuff. - wow that is an understatement.

Anyway, most lower priced saws are built that way - lower priced.

The higher priced saws like Excalibur are also build that way.

You just do not see the construction stuff that is in the higher priced machine built into the lower priced machines.

I guess you could say - you get what you par for.

There is ONE - and only ONE exception to the rule.

The Dewalt 788 - it the highest priced lower priced machine - but still solidly in the lower priced machines.

The Dewalt 788 is built just like the higher priced machines.

I have heard soooooo many good reports on the Dewalt 788 - I will be shocked if there is any reason you do not like it.

I will also ADD - DO - look into the flying dutchman scroll saw blades at mikes workshop.

You just bought one awesome saw.

If I understand it correctly, the DeWalts were originally built in Canada by the same company that builds the Excalibur. Those were the Type 1 DeWalts. Then DeWalt started having them built in Taiwan or some such place and those are called the type 2 DeWalts (it should say right on the motor Type 2 if it is a 2). The first productions of the Type 2's had some problem and kinda gave the type 2's a bad name. But once they got the kinks out the type 2 has been a good machine. The type 1 owners will not admit that but, ya know how that goes. I had a type 2 for quite a few years and never had any problems with it.

Well done Charles. I have that machine and they did get the kinks out (and there were kinks; bad tables, bad blade clamps, etc.). I use it for thin stock around Christmas for little stocking stuffers but, got it primarily for 'piercing' details in much thicker stock for Greene and Greene / Arts and Crafts pieces. It has worked well for both for years now.

And just in time . . .

Reindeer-round-small.jpg

Last edited: