Thread: Treadmill motors

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

Treadmill motors

Just a passing thought.... I've always been interested in treadmill motors. Has anybody utilized them in any projects? Can those bulky control boards be down sized? Can they be used as disc sander motor? Or to up grade my little wood lathe motor for better speed control?

I know.... lots of questions! Used to have a treadmill and had to make repairs on it and thought then that it was such a compact and quiet little unit for so much hp.

Any thoughts would be welcome!!

Happy Turkey Day tomorrow!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

I've got an old treadmill sitting around that is just begging to be repurposed somehow...

Watching this thread with interest.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I played with one. I put the electronics in a plastic box with a lid & connected everything up & used it a bit on my lathe.

As to the big board I just checked out where the electronics were & went after the excess plastic with the band-saw.

Be sure to put the string around your neck for the kill tab so if you fall down it will shut off.

I eventually went with a 2 HP motor with a VFD. I have thought of using it for a sander or sharpener. There are several speed presets & ramp up & ramp down.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-26-2014 at 09:29 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Our elevation part of the treadmill quit on us a year or so ago, no biggy as we didn't use it, made reaching the clothes hanging on it hard to reach

Seriously thinking of tearing into ours one of these days for use as a belt sander of some sort...just found this with a quick search after reading your post...lots of items I think it work for just fine.....I might just put the old thinking cap on again, now that you've brought it to the front of the wish list
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Now that is great idea! I've seen them for free on Cragslist from time to time.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible

John Heisz over on www.ibuildit.ca used one in a disc sander: http://www.ibuildit.ca/disk-sander-1.html

But I'm not sure how he controlled the motor speed.

ps: or here is some guidance on instructables: http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-...ontr/?ALLSTEPS I think that the motor John used was actually just a plain AC motor with a pulley, not a DC motor.
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 11-27-2014 at 02:56 AM.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Watching to see what all people come up with. I've seen a few video's where people used them for narrow belt sanders (typically knife making), and one where the guy made a belt sander the size of the treadmill base. www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJppW06Kxjs
    I had a chuckle out of that one, thinking how flat surfaces gain items, which could become projectiles.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    That could be a big OUCH!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.