Dresser project preview

Dewayne Baker

I am planning to build two dressers, one for each of my twin Daughters. The two dressers will be built from the same plan but will have some small details to set them apart. One of the challenges I have chosen for this project is bent lamination pulls. I have already created the bent lam pulls and am now working on ideas for attaching them. I will likely use mortise and tenon to join a bracket to the ends of the pull and the drawer face. I will be using cherry hardwood, curly maple veneer and hardwood and maple plywood for the project.
I have included an image of a model from a set of scaled plans I created using sketchup. I have struggled with computer drafting in the past and gave up on it and reverted back to conventional drafting. I downloaded sketchup a week ago and have been devoting an hour or two a night to learn the program. I have more to learn and am struggling with a few things but really like using the software opposed to pencil and paper.
Dresserdrawing2alt_zps6c4d8dc5.png

Dresserdrawingalt_zpsa16dae58.png

Cool design Dewayne. I'm sure they'll love them. I'm no great shakes at SketchUp but, do use it on nearly every project now since it is so easy to see how things may look or fit. I especially turn to it for difficult joinery; once you sketch it up you can pull dimensions with confidence.

I have decided on a method for attaching the dresser pulls. I have cut the ends of the pulls as shown in the drawing. This gives me a bit of long grain to long grain and I will have 2 dowels on each end. I will cover the dowels with flush plugs shown in a contrasting color. Not sure yet if I will make the dowel locations an accent with cherry on maple or try to hide them with maple plugs.
Drawer face 2alt.jpg
Drawer face 1alt.jpg

Not sure yet if I will make the dowel locations an accent with cherry on maple or try to hide them with maple plugs.
View attachment 87567
View attachment 87568

Go darker for the pins/dowels ebony, walnut, blackwood. Turn them with maybe a little button on the outside. Trying to hide it always looked cheesy when I've tried it (I'm sure some can pull it off, but unless you're really good at grain matching...) whereas embracing it and making it a feature gives the appearance of intentionality (often with realities aside but there it is).