Cost of Making vs. Buying Cabinets

Too much material going up in smoke being each stile would have to have two partitions behind it. Doing that also doubles the number of points to hit dead on for things to line up when setting your frame. The alignment issue could go away pretty easily if you don't dado everything together. Even if I've got a drawer opening where I could flush it out with the partition or ends, I don't bother for that reason. I just use build out for each drawer opening. If the carcass or the face frame is off a few thousandths in one way or another, it won't show, either the adjustment in the hinge is adequate, or the buildout for the drawer masks that failure. I also don't care for seeing the gap of the shelf to the partition/side head on when you open a door, and prefer having that visually behind the frame.

That's not my experience, there was just a gap between the carcase....no wasted material of any kind. Never had any alignment problems, either, since the only contact is the face frames. But, there's a 100 ways to build cabinets. They are all correct, just pick what you like.

That's not my experience, there was just a gap between the carcase....no wasted material of any kind. Never had any alignment problems, either, since the only contact is the face frames.

Ah, I see what you're saying. You build an individual box for each opening. You've still added more material though. Instead of having a single partition spaced however behind a stile, you've got two. So you're still using quite a bit more sheet stock, more pieces to cut always means more waste unless you're pulling from a finite length of material. Plus you're almost doubling the amount of nail holes unless you're just clamping with no fasteners. That works. I'm guessing you're using a 3mm plate with a half crank hinge?

But, there's a 100 ways to build cabinets. They are all correct, just pick what you like.

Exactly.

Another thought in reference to having a pocket behind the frame, is any opening that has a shelf, the shelf is captive. It can't pull forward and come off the pins in back. Not really an issue until kids get involved and they're pulling themselves up to get at whatever you've stashed up high. Little monkeys.