Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Bother--- electrical issue

Exclamation Oh Bother--- electrical issue

Well, I tried to fire up my drum sander this morning. My shop used to run on extension cord out of our utility room. It doesn't at the moment, because I've evidently blown the entire circuit for the washer/dryer. I've reset the breaker, but to no success. Needless to say, Lori is far from happy with me at the moment & wants me to divert some of the Kickstarter funding to putting a meter and panel out in the shop itself.

Ignoring the sub panel/meter discussion for the moment. (I'm all for it, just not sure if we can swing it before the new year.)

What could I be missing on the breaker front? I've reset the entire panel, but no luck in the utility room. I don't have a meter or tester until I pick one up tomorrow. Any suggestions on what I'm Looking for today? I've unplugged the shop, so there's no load going out there, and the dryer works if I plug it in to another outlet. It has been at least 2 hours since the breaker popped. Suggestions?
    -Ned

Maybe a loose connection somewhere. Maybe the white wire in the circuit box.

It is entirely possible that the breaker is bad.

I'd also suspect a bad breaker. If you have central air and the breaker is equal or less than the breaker for the dryer outlet, you could borrow that one for the short term. If it's of higher value, I wouldn't recommend it since you're already dealing with a potential dead short somewhere. When you bring the line back up, test it with a known good tool before trying the sander again. The wiring in the sander may have an issue.

Oh Bother--- electrical issue

I strongly suspect it was purely load that kicked the breaker. More later, I'm on the road for work .

Ned
    -Ned

You don't happen to have a GFCI on that circuit do you? Maybe check to see if that is tripped as well?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Breakers have been known to die following an overload or two. I'd start there. Good luck...mad wife...been there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    , and the dryer works if I plug it in to another outlet. It has been at least 2 hours since the breaker popped. Suggestions?
    Another outlet?? Is this a gas dryer or an electric dryer? I have a hard time picturing a house that has TWO electric dryer outlets.

ie: is this a regular 110 outlet we are talking about? Is this the only outlet on that circuit? If so, it is also possible that the outlet itself is the problem, if you have been consistently drying a high load through it.

As to the meter/panel -- couldn't you just put in a subpanel, no need for a meter!?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    ...As to the meter/panel -- couldn't you just put in a subpanel, no need for a meter!?
    I was thinking the same thing.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'd also suspect a bad breaker. Also, how long is the cord run and what guage is it?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

So Ned, did you get this worked out? Hope so...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website