Bandsaw Blade ?

Mike Turner

Im sure this has been tossed around a bunch. I have an older 14" Delta Rockwell bandsaw with a riser kit in good shape and need some direction on a good bandsaw blade for prepping bowl blanks from mostly woods that we have here in NC

Need favored brands, the tpi , width of the blade...And who has the best deal......this kind of stuff Thanks!!

The most commonly-recommended blade for cutting turning blanks is the Timberwolf blade. It's a good blade, but personally, I think these are just as good if not better, and they are about 1/3 the price:

Ellis Manufacturing, 1/2" 3 TPI "Flexback" listed toward the bottom of this page:

http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Blades/48/band-saw-blade-stock-list

For the record, I've used plenty of Timberwolf blades, as well as Olsen blades and the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware. (The Woodslicer is not intended for cutting turning blanks.) After using the Ellis blades, I have no idea why someone would waste money on the "name brand" blades.

Also keep in mind that bandsaw blades are expendable, like sandpaper. Don't plan to just buy one blade and be set for life. ;)

The most commonly-recommended blade for cutting turning blanks is the Timberwolf blade. It's a good blade, but personally, I think these are just as good if not better, and they are about 1/3 the price:

Ellis Manufacturing, 1/2" 3 TPI "Flexback" listed toward the bottom of this page:

http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Blades/48/band-saw-blade-stock-list

For the record, I've used plenty of Timberwolf blades, as well as Olsen blades and the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware. (The Woodslicer is not intended for cutting turning blanks.) After using the Ellis blades, I have no idea why someone would waste money on the "name brand" blades.

Also keep in mind that bandsaw blades are expendable, like sandpaper. Don't plan to just buy one blade and be set for life. ;)

^ yup

Most of my work is resawing - a different challenge. For my small (14" with riser) bandsaw, I have used Timberwolf blades, but would try the Ellis blades I have heard such good things about.

If you use do Timberwolf be sure to get the blades tuned for cutting green wood - I believe (from memory only) the code is AS for alternate set.

When Vaughan talks about expendable, think of an hour or two of use.

I have used Timberwolf blades and several other brands. The absolute best I have gotten to date have been the "woodturners" blades from Highland Hardware. They are especially made for green wood and bowl blanks. They are thicker at .032 and are 3/8" wide and have more set in the teeth than regular blades, for clearing the kerf of sawdust/chips. They have 3 tpi and are a bit aggressive, but with good technique and firm hold, they outshine others, making bowl blanks from logs, the best I have ever seen. Some folks really like the Lennox diemaster blades as well, as they hold up well.

At Highland Hardware, you can order blades to length for what ever saw you have..........I highly recommend these blades.

I'm no expert, so take this with the usual grain of salt... I buy most of my blades from Packardwood... they're the Olson brand and at a good price... I know from the last session I had with bowl blank preps... you're going to go through blades pretty quickly and I remember someone on here posting that they had talked with Timberwolf or one of the other high named blades, that a blade is only good for a little over 200 board feet....

I haven't tried the Ellis blades yet but probably should... might get a family discount ?