Incra T-Rule - Stop

glenn bradley

I am not sure how useful anyone might find this but, I have run into situations where I wanted to use my 6" T-Rule but, it was too long (ran into an adjacent object). I made a very shallow dado in a piece of squared up scrap pecan, glued it to another identical piece of scrap without the dado, added a threaded insert and a crude knob made from a stack of nuts on a brass machine screw and I'm all set. Takes up little room and will help me out next time I find myself in that position.

Incra Rule Stop (1).jpg . Incra Rule Stop (2).jpg . Incra Rule Stop (3).jpg

Cool idea. Gave me another one for longer rulers using a nylon thumb screw. Got lots of those. I made u-shaped stops for the rulers but they slip. This won't. Thanks, Glenn. These help with the no brainer, no math layout issues, especially when clamping tracking for sawing. Two rulers, 2 stops, 2 spring clamps. No pencils, no numbers, no measuring (except for the initial measuring), no memory problems!

Set the stops identically on each ruler. Spring clamp it to the edge of the panel. Lay the track against the ruler, clamp securely, remove the stops, and rip away!

Measuring and numbers can get you into real trouble in woodworking!

Hey Glenn, I understand that the threaded insert is to lock it in position, isn't it? Doesn't it risk to damage the thin edge of the ruler?

Cool idea, Glenn. :thumb:

...Measuring and numbers can get you into real trouble in woodworking!

This bears repeating. :thumb: To the extent possible, I'd rather either use a story stick or build everything to fit one or two key dimensions. Or just put all the rulers in a drawer and toss a piece of firewood on the ol' lathe. D

This bears repeating. :thumb: To the extent possible, I'd rather either use a story stick or build everything to fit one or two key dimensions.

While I agree in principal these incra rules are really handy for doing parallel lines or specifically spaced holes or other similar uses. Especially for making templates :p As long as you don't move the stop it should be fine :D I actually have one without the T end that I got at an estate sale and a stop (or two) would be pretty hand for it.

I do wonder about Toni's point and am assuming that Glenn thought of that part somehow...

Or just put all the rulers in a drawer and toss a piece of firewood on the ol' lathe. D

:rofl: luckily you aren't biased :rofl:

Hey Glenn, I understand that the threaded insert is to lock it in position, isn't it? Doesn't it risk to damage the thin edge of the ruler?

I do wonder about Toni's point and am assuming that Glenn thought of that part somehow...

I slightly domed the end of the soft brass screw. If I was a machinist I could have probably come up with a tiny swivel-pad or something. If I really laid into it I could definitely damage the edge of the rule, jam the screw or both. The slot is a snug fit so the rule stays put with just a slight snugging of the screw. I nylon knob/screw would work as well. I just happened to have the brass screw :crossed:

...these incra rules are really handy for doing parallel lines or specifically spaced holes or other similar uses...

I've got one of the 6" models, and love it. :thumb: I may try to avoid having to measure stuff and mark, when when the need arises, the Incra is my go-to ruler.