Thread: Huuuuuge Bubinga slab available

Huuuuuge Bubinga slab available

I visited my local (-ish, if you count 30 miles away as local) Windsor Plywood store this morning and discovered that they have another enormous slab of bubinga on offer. They claim it's 173 bd.ft. of 8/4; it appears to be a touch over 5ft wide and 17ft long.

A touch expensive at C$7500 but just gorgeous. It works out as C$43/ bd.ft which isn't outrageous for sucha specimen I guess.

If you know where you can find a customer for a 17ft boardroom table, or a pair of 8+ft dining tables maybe you should think about it. Call Windsor Plywood in Nanaimo, BC. And believe me, if I were associated with them in any way I'd be using my influence to get it at a discount and not telling you lot about it! :-)
    So do I type something witty here?

Wow............. I cannot even imagine what that would be worth over here in Japan............ Shipping would kill me
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hi Tim,
    It must be a wonderful board to behold, can't imagine the tree it came from or the effort to get it here. Somebody is going to have a lifetime supply of pen blanks!
    Thanks,
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

pictures!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    pictures!
    I wish I could; no camera with me at the time. The best I can do is attach a pic of the somewhat smaller but possibly better figured slab the same store had about a year ago.

I'm having real trouble not buying it; I keep seeing a pair of magnificent tables. I see price tags like $12k in a Vancouver gallery. Then I wake up and realise I just don't have the time to do such a job justice.
    So do I type something witty here?

That's not lumber!
    Thats natural art that should be hung on a wall, AS-IS. Seriously. It would be a shame to tear up a board like that.

Of course...it would take a pretty significant wall anchor....

Personally, I would have a total nervous breakdown touching such a piece of wood with a blade of any kind. Too darn scared I would mess up a cut.

It would be a site to see a piece that large though.