Clockkit clocks.

I ordered some of the small clocks that go into a 2 3/4" hole. I didn't think to ask what the overall diameter of the clock is and now I find they are close back east. Does anybody have one to measure? I can't imagine them being more that 3"-3 1/4" but just want to be sure.... The part # is E-72-MM-R I did look on the website but just not finding the information.

Thanks

Just grasping at straws here Royall, but is there a chance you've confused the over-all size with the mounting diameter? The reason I ask is because searching your part# came up with this though there is a *C after the 'E-72-MM-R' {*C} which I'm sure refers to the 'C'hrome bezel...anyways that would be a 2 3/4" overall with a 2 3/8ths mounting hole...:dunno: just a thought, hopefully someone has one as you mentioned...

It will be hard to re-drill. The clock body is made up of 3 layers of wood. I cut the 2 3/4" hole on the drill press with a fly cutter as I don't have a forstner bit that size. then I glued the 3 pieces (for all 7 clocks) together in a big stack. Plugging and re-drilling is not too good of and option.... Just have to call the company on Monday. Hope I don't have to scrap 75 buck worth of wood....... :(

I use Klockit to order all my small clocks, pretty sure it is an industry standard to list the overall diameter of the clock, the mounting hole will be smaller usually by 1/8 inch. This is why I like Klockit, they list both the clock dia. and the hole dia needed, they will also list the forstner bit needed. Usually 2 3/4 require a 2/3/8 hole. You might be able to use a rubber insert to fill the gap, but it might be visible don't know for sure, never used an insert ring like that...these clocks are really inexpensive, you might find a new clock inserts that will match you drilled holes cheaper and faster then redoing the wood.

http://www.klockit.com/products/sku-15612.html?parent=creamfitups

I keep looking at the Klockkit site and find it to be a very poor site to get information. Again, what I find confusing is, this is printed:

2 ¾” Insert Clock White Arabic
  • Minimum Depth 11/16”
  • Hole Size 2 3/4”
Use:
Forstner Bit PRO-2375

then you follow search for the PRO-2375 bit and it doesn't take you to anything but a list of forstner bits. Well I'll stew about it all weekend and find out what's what come Monday..... Why say "hole size 2 3/4" and then somewhere else say to use something smaller?

Thanks for all the replies... I think I'll go ahead and cut the bodies out of the blanks anyway.... can't use them for anything else....

Last edited:
I agree clockkit.com is a poor site (they use pro bit forstner bits, I assume that is who you are using, Klockit does not use Pro bits), I use Klockit with a "K" a completely different site and much better site for small clock inserts and gives you much more info, no ambiguity on this site , they still send you too the forstner bit page where all are listed, but you can easily find the referenced bit on the page and easily add to cart. Doesn't help you on this deal, but for future orders I would use Klockit site., never had a problem and cus service is great.

http://www.klockit.com/

edit: might try this clock insert for your current problem, used it before and it is a nice piece works great and beautiful pictures doesn't do it justice. It is a bit bigger and with a rubber insert for you hole should cure your problem of a 2 3/4 hole while the clock will still cover the extra added rubber ring

http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-31__sku-15005.html

Also you can in a pinch just use rubber bands to use up the space needed for the hole or duct tape etc... most of these clock inserts are fiction fitted, no one will know...lol

Last edited:
Until now, I didn't realize there were two different companies. Clockkit/Klockit.... It had been so many years since I did any clocks, that I didn't even think of the spelling. Shame on me. I will have words with one of the managers on Monday when they open for business. Now, if the people still smoked like they did in the past, I could make these blanks into a real fancy ashtray!!:thumb:

It will be hard to re-drill. The clock body is made up of 3 layers of wood. I cut the 2 3/4" hole on the drill press with a fly cutter as I don't have a forstner bit that size. then I glued the 3 pieces (for all 7 clocks) together in a big stack. Plugging and re-drilling is not too good of and option.... Just have to call the company on Monday. Hope I don't have to scrap 75 buck worth of wood....... :(

Surprised you drilled without having clock in hand or making a test drill. Oh, well. If I remember correctly, they clocks are built to allow some variance in the hole size. Mine came from the 'K' company but it's been a while.

Surprised you drilled without having clock in hand or making a test drill. Oh, well. If I remember correctly, they clocks are built to allow some variance in the hole size.

Frank, that's must me! Always getting the cart before the horse! From what I remembered about clocks from years ago, there was some wiggle room. I just wanted to get a jump start on the project so it didn't come down to crunch time. This was a spur of the moment thing. Shame on me for assuming that when they say 2 3/4" hole, it may be some other size. :bang:

Just like life.... always a learning curve involved:eek:

and the saga continues! LOL Just got off the phone with Clockkit (not Klockit)... Talked to a fellow and he said that they are 2 3/8"... I then asked him to look at the listing in the website and read to me what size hole to drill. He was shocked to find out that all the clocks had the wrong information. I let him know that I now have several projects rendered basically useless and I would have to buy yet more materials. Yes, I know that some of you said I should not have drilled the holes with out the clock in hand but I'm under a time crunch (like many at this time of year) and needed a head start. He was kind enough to up grade the clock to the next size up for no charge (thank goodness they hadn't shipped yet!) that need a 3" hole. I do have enough material around the hole so it won't hurt the balance of the finished piece. As a plus, he said those would go out today but don't expect it as it is 5:00 back east now.

Now I have to set up my router and a pattern to enlarge the hole 1/4". And yes, I'll wait until they get here! Lesson learned.

Sorry you ran into trouble, Royall. Add me to the list of folk who didn't realize there were both "C" and "K" versions of the same company. Obviously the "C" guys jumped on the bandwagon hoping to take advantage of the great reputation the "K" guys have established over the years.

I think I'm going to open a new tool company called Grizzley. ;)