Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: band saw blade advice sought

band saw blade advice sought

I'm looking for suggestions for BS blades. Not the premium ones that sell for $30. I'm looking for the best value/use item. I also don't want to invest that much in a blade that can be trashed in a moment by a twisted cut.

An article in FWW some time ago recommended BCSaw.com, but I've no experience with their blades. I've had good luck with Hartville tools blades. Because I have a nice old PM 141, I need 95" blades, which some of the standard dealers don't carry.

Suggestions welcome.

Might be a bit off the wall here Ken, but have you ever considered buying a roll of blade, and making your own?

Sometimes you can find a deal on Ebay etc. of the right sized blade, in a roll, a simple jig, a propane gas torch and some silver solder and you are in business.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Good suggestion Stu, but not the direction I want to go with materials, supplies and the learning curve til I get a perfect weld. Thanks anyway.
    Ken

Highland Woodworking is a good source.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...S&Category=294

Very good customer service too.

ken i buy my disposa-blades from ellis mfg. in wisc. they have a minimum order and i don`t remember what it is? but a dozen blades covers it...their phone number is 800-383-5547.......know your tooth geometry when you order....i always buy 4 hook and they stock them in 1/2 and 1/4....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I'd suggest Suffolk Machinery. Good blades, and their prices are more in the $17 - $25 range for the size you want. They're also pretty good about helping you decide which blade is best for your intended purpose. They'll make the blade to your lenght specs if they don;t already have it in stock. I've been real happy with their products.

Note, however, that their blades don't cut rock very well. I toasted a blade a few nights ago cutting a piece of madrone burl that had a rock imbedded in it. By the time I realized I was hitting something, the blade was shot. (It burned on a straight cut through pine afterwards.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I am not a bandsaw expert but I started with Suffolk Machinery blades due to recommendations and have seen no reason to change. I run them on a Delta 14" 2hp saw and their performance has exceeded what I expected. So like Vaughn said, Suffolk is worth a try.

I have to ditto what others have said about Suffolk service. But, when ordering Timberwolf blades, do ask about life expectancy. My 3/4"X3 resaw blade (for use in my Griz. G0555 14") went dull real quick. When I called Suffolk they said to expect only about 200 lineal feet of cutting life from a (meaning any) blade. Thickness doesn't seem to be a factor. Don't ask me why. When I told him the majority of my cutting was red cedar and osage orange, they said I should expect even a shorter life from them as those woods have a high silica content that dulls quickly. This was about the amount I cut before experiencing dulling symptoms and I'm majorly dissapointed. Two hundred feet of cutting is only a couple hours work. Tod has reccomended the Ellis blades. I may have to order a bunch to meet their minimums and try.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Anybody have experience with BCsaw.com blades?

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Anybody have experience with BCsaw.com blades?
    I do not personally have any experience with them but I remember seeing somewhere a while back that a few guys were saying that they were good. I guess that is not much help except to know that some people like them.