Thread: Disk Sander Guard

Disk Sander Guard

If any of you who have a combination disc / anything sander, have ever had the opportunity to brush up against the disk while using the belt, spindle, whatever . . . you know why I did this. A scrap of door skin and a scrap of cherry along with a magnet of decent strength.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disk sander guard (1).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	87757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disk sander guard (2).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	87758

No more accidentally sanded parts; on the project or the operator
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Glen. Why does your shop always look so clean and neat? Your tips are always great and useful,always looking forward to you posts
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Johnson View Post
    Glen. Why does your shop always look so clean and neat? Your tips are always great and useful,always looking forward to you posts
    David
    Its the magic of the "out of frame" concept. I only show you what I want you to see . Seriously, one of my triggers for a bad attitude is tripping over, digging through or losing "stuff" when I am tying to enjoy my shop time. This has evolved into a place for (almost) everything and everything in its place approach. If something doesn't have a place to go, I make one. If there isn't one, the offending object is banished to the shed out back. If it is important enough to keep handy, it is important enough to have a specific place to go.

I also put things back (because its so easy) when I am not immediately using them; use the double square, hang it back up, drill a hole put the bit and drill motor back in the holders. You ever see people who have a snow-drift of tools and scrap on their bench from yesterday? They waste 25% of their work time just looking for stuff or moving stuff from one work surface to another. How can they work like that? Anyway, this means I can go from full-on work mode to cleaned up in just minutes since I am essentially cleaning up as I go. Now you know my secret mania . . . its a sickness I have learned to deal with
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Its the magic of the "out of frame" concept. I only show you what I want you to see . Seriously, one of my triggers for a bad attitude is tripping over, digging through or losing "stuff" when I am tying to enjoy my shop time. This has evolved into a place for (almost) everything and everything in its place approach. If something doesn't have a place to go, I make one. If there isn't one, the offending object is banished to the shed out back. If it is important enough to keep handy, it is important enough to have a specific place to go.

I also put things back (because its so easy) when I am not immediately using them; use the double square, hang it back up, drill a hole put the bit and drill motor back in the holders. You ever see people who have a snow-drift of tools and scrap on their bench from yesterday? They waste 25% of their work time just looking for stuff or moving stuff from one work surface to another. How can they work like that? Anyway, this means I can go from full-on work mode to cleaned up in just minutes since I am essentially cleaning up as I go. Now you know my secret mania . . . its a sickness I have learned to deal with
    I must learn this "sickness"....I have a snow drifts of tools/scraps everywhere and can't get to the snow blower to fix it!

Nice little safety feature you added to your disk sander too!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I like the layered table so as to get the most use out of the sanding sleeve. I also like the tool who makes it? Here is what I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_A1 myshop 027.jpg   combo sander.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 12-09-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

This is where I tend to pull off the sandpaper (cheaper then a doctor visit).
    It does make one wonder why they couldn't design the table to fold up in front of the sander when not in use, though.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

I must have developed the same sickness.... it's the only way I can keep up with my tools... I can lose a tool I'm holding in my hand if I don't put it away as soon as I'm done with it. I may have wood chips all over the shop, but the tools are all in place.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Very clever...and practical, too! Will add this to my "must build" list.
    "The more I know people, the more I like my tools."