Disk Sander Guard

glenn bradley

If any of you who have a combination disc / anything sander, have ever had the opportunity to brush up against the disk while using the belt, spindle, whatever . . . you know why I did this. A scrap of door skin and a scrap of cherry along with a magnet of decent strength.

Disk sander guard (1).jpgDisk sander guard (2).jpg

No more accidentally sanded parts; on the project or the operator :thumb:

Glen. Why does your shop always look so clean and neat? Your tips are always great and useful,always looking forward to you posts
David

Its the magic of the "out of frame" concept. I only show you what I want you to see ;). Seriously, one of my triggers for a bad attitude is tripping over, digging through or losing "stuff" when I am tying to enjoy my shop time. This has evolved into a place for (almost) everything and everything in its place approach. If something doesn't have a place to go, I make one. If there isn't one, the offending object is banished to the shed out back. If it is important enough to keep handy, it is important enough to have a specific place to go.

I also put things back (because its so easy) when I am not immediately using them; use the double square, hang it back up, drill a hole put the bit and drill motor back in the holders. You ever see people who have a snow-drift of tools and scrap on their bench from yesterday? They waste 25% of their work time just looking for stuff or moving stuff from one work surface to another. How can they work like that? Anyway, this means I can go from full-on work mode to cleaned up in just minutes since I am essentially cleaning up as I go. Now you know my secret mania . . . its a sickness I have learned to deal with :D:D:D

Its the magic of the "out of frame" concept. I only show you what I want you to see ;). Seriously, one of my triggers for a bad attitude is tripping over, digging through or losing "stuff" when I am tying to enjoy my shop time. This has evolved into a place for (almost) everything and everything in its place approach. If something doesn't have a place to go, I make one. If there isn't one, the offending object is banished to the shed out back. If it is important enough to keep handy, it is important enough to have a specific place to go.

I also put things back (because its so easy) when I am not immediately using them; use the double square, hang it back up, drill a hole put the bit and drill motor back in the holders. You ever see people who have a snow-drift of tools and scrap on their bench from yesterday? They waste 25% of their work time just looking for stuff or moving stuff from one work surface to another. How can they work like that? Anyway, this means I can go from full-on work mode to cleaned up in just minutes since I am essentially cleaning up as I go. Now you know my secret mania . . . its a sickness I have learned to deal with :D:D:D

I must learn this "sickness"....I have a snow drifts of tools/scraps everywhere and can't get to the snow blower to fix it! :doh:

Nice little safety feature you added to your disk sander too! :thumb:

I like the layered table so as to get the most use out of the sanding sleeve. I also like the tool who makes it? Here is what I have.

Attachments

• tn_A1 myshop 027.jpg
    tn_A1 myshop 027.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 23
  • combo sander.jpg
    combo sander.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
This is where I tend to pull off the sandpaper (cheaper then a doctor visit).
It does make one wonder why they couldn't design the table to fold up in front of the sander when not in use, though.

I must have developed the same sickness.... it's the only way I can keep up with my tools... I can lose a tool I'm holding in my hand if I don't put it away as soon as I'm done with it. I may have wood chips all over the shop, but the tools are all in place.