Largest Wooden Structure in the World

Wow thats amazing. Thanks for sharing that Vaughn. Always wondered how they managed to do those type of tests. Back in SA at the Telecoms co test labs they had a full on faraday cage used for all sorts of testing along with lightening protection. Given altitude of Johannesburg, (6000) feet it is prone to severe lightening strikes requiring loads of protection to electronics.
Amazes me the innovation during cold war era.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

What could we build with that wood? Let's put in a bid to dismantle before the historians get their hands on it. Let's see....rustic furniture, barns, shops, benches.....wonder what it is. Maybe doug fir? or would it be the old formula PT?

Vauhn, where is this located? New mexico has all sorts of strange government projects scattered around.

It's a about a mile southeast of the Sunport (airport). It's visible from the air on commercial jets taking off on runway 8-26. Right here.

It would make for one heck of a weenie roast, not to try and out do the one they had there a few years earlier. ;)

Which fire are you referring to?

I read that it was closed but is the wood still there. I imagine there are some rather large cross section members that could be salvaged for a number of uses.

Yes, the wood's still there. They turned off the automatic sprinklers when they decommissioned it, though, so it's one good lightning strike away from going up in smoke.

...wonder what it is. Maybe doug fir? or would it be the old formula PT?

I'm guessing it's PT, but I'll ask my dad. He should know.

Straying a bit off-topic here, but there has some discussion about the trestle site happening among a "Remember in Albuquerque When..." group on Facebook yesterday and today, and one of the posters commented about a B-1 bomber being tested on the trestle. Here's what I posted in response:

I was an inspector on the Airport project back in the '80s. I spent a lot of time working on the airside and I remember the day the B-1B arrived, and I especially remember the day it left. When it left, it did a series of touch-and-go landings, looping south over (probably) Los Lunas each time as it came back around. After the last pass. the pilot kicked the plane vertical (or nearly so) and flew upward out of sight. Amazing to see such a big plane making a severe maneuver like that.

I really enjoyed working at the airport back then. :thumb:

It's a about a mile southeast of the Sunport (airport). It's visible from the air on commercial jets taking off on runway 8-26. Right here.

Which fire are you referring to?

The one in 1945 that had a large mushroom cloud.

Can also see a pretty good view of it from Bing Maps, click the birds eye view and it's bottom center to zoom in on, use the rotate arrows by the compass to see different angles....
http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9cHY0Z...wTmV3JTIwTWV4aWNvJTJDJTIwVW5pdGVkJTIwU3RhdGVz

I could get 320 thousand Adirondack chairs out of that structure if they don't let it rot away.
round it off to 300 thousand for cutting out all the bad spots.
Probably keep me busy for a few years.
I cant climb on ladders, so someone else would have to take it apart first.