SDWG

Ted Calver

Staff member
On another of his excellent threads, Glenn made an observation that hit so close to home, it gave me pause to consider.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?34574-Disk-Sander-Guard

....You ever see people who have a snow-drift of tools and scrap on their bench from yesterday? They waste 25% of their work time just looking for stuff or moving stuff from one work surface to another....

....And with this inspiration, so begins the Snow-Drift Woodworkers Guild (SDWG, or Snowdawgs) dedicated to all of us who spend their days maintaining fitness and agility by nimbly tripping over shop vac hoses, lawn mower parts and recycle bins while trying to find that special piece of wood, and increasing our brain power by spending long periods sitting quietly and trying to remember where we put the reading glasses...the ones resting comfortably on top of our head. Members must first qualify by submitting photo evidence of shop clutter where at least 50% of tools are hidden under "stuff" and at least one photo of a drawer full of tape measures, purchased because they can never remember where they laid down the last one they were using. Do you have what it takes to be a Snowdawg? Here's my proof, lets see yours:

garage 028.jpg garage 023.jpg

If I have to compare my shop with those pics, I would not qualify, specially now that I've made a major clean up and tydied it to make room for my new TS that I hope will arrive in January. Some time in the past I guess I would qualify but not at that level.

Love the drawer 'full-o-tape-measures'. I have 4 in the shop, and the kitchen, office and bedroom get 1 each as well . . . oh wait . . . and 3 over at LOML's house :rofl:.

This is actually pretty organized for me, but I think I qualify just from the sheer quantity of items in this image.

sdwgmembership.jpg

The only big problem with these multiple tape measures that i have been bitten by and more than once, is that they dont all calibrate to the same scale. I have "lost" ( misplaced a tape) then picked up another and made some meaningful errors and when i checked them both after finding the original as a result of a post here, i found neither actually corresponded well to my steel rule which is my reference measure.
It was a tough lesson and i did not have the heart to throw out the tapes but since then i am more cautious about consistency of what i use to measure.

+1 What Rob said above on using more then one measuring device a project.

But seeing this thread makes me think of something else, my fathers shop. He can find most everything, but if you asked anyone of us kids to grab something for mom, good luck.
Would or should that be part of the equation?

Ted, wow that is one cluttered shop you have.

I don't think I'd remember where my tape measure was either, if it was lost in there.

But I'm not sure it is really clutter, it kind of looks like a lot of stuff in a small space.

One thing I did when I had a tiny space to work in was keep a lot of stuff in a couple

of outdoor sheds and just bring what I needed into the main area, and put it back

when I was done.

nRwdH3L.png

pl1y3Cd.png

I like the drawer full of tape measures... my friend here in TP has a variety scattered around his shop... each has a magnet and is stuck to a tool... one on each lathe (he has 4), one on the table saw, one on the band saw, etc..

I did have two tape measures myself, but somehow the end got cut off one of them, so now I only have one 'cause I'm too close and comfy with my money to buy another, so it always goes back to it's hanger when I'm done with it .... I've tried putting it in my smock pocket, but then I go to the wall where it's kept to find it and it's not there ?:huh::huh:... I do keep a folding rule in my tool stand next to the lathe that I can use for quick measurements or the little 6" metal rule that's also there.

There may be a 3' high pile of wood chips between the wall and my lathe, but all my tools are in the appropriate place when I'm not using them.... that's how I stay in such good shape, walking back and forth across the shop replacing tools.

The only big problem with these multiple tape measures that i have been bitten by and more than once, is that they dont all calibrate to the same scale. I have "lost" ( misplaced a tape) then picked up another and made some meaningful errors and when i checked them both after finding the original as a result of a post here, i found neither actually corresponded well to my steel rule which is my reference measure.
It was a tough lesson and i did not have the heart to throw out the tapes but since then i am more cautious about consistency of what i use to measure.

I've already learned that lesson, Rob. I always measure once and cut twice with the same tape:D

Ted, wow that is one cluttered shop you have....But I'm not sure it is really clutter, it kind of looks like a lot of stuff in a small space.....

Scott, you nailed it on both counts and as Randall suggested I pretty much know where everything is.....except my glasses and tape:huh: A plan for a shed was in the works and then it kinda grew to a detached shop but then some family problems siphoned away some of the dollars and now it's a shed plan again. Probably do the shed anyway. That will clear a lot of the clutter.