Relief carving Book by Lora Irish

Rob Keeble

Well after Roy got into hot water for the Buffalo image I decided i was not going to carve snakes so took a different path and ordered Loras book hoping the Buffalo was in the book which was what the hoo ha was all about.
Purchased the book via amazon second hand books got mine for $10.38 and a few dollars shipping. Looks like a great instructional book have a fascination for these wood spirits.

But to set the record straight the buffalo Roy was going to show us how to carve was only featured in the book as a finished item there is no plan in the book for it.

Guess i am going to have to look to find the buffalo picture somewhere else. :D

Going to cut some bass wood i have into a slab and set about carving something from the book as soon as i get the "honey do list" of fixing the webbing on the couches done. :( I wanted to dispose of them but had to order webbing which got picked up same time as the book. So got my spare time cut out for me for now.

Warning....Amazon books especially the second hand side where interesting odd "how to " books can be had for a few $$ can be a dangerous place to browse.

Hello Rob,

Quoting - But to set the record straight the buffalo Roy was going to show us how to carve was only featured in the book as a finished item there is no plan in the book for it.

Please check Wildlife in Relief, Chapter 4, pages 46 through 59 and page 67 for the 36 step-by-step instructions for the relief carving of the buffalo portrait. Edit - The pattern work, featuring six patterns and drawings, is on pages 12 through 14. The finished carved sample, page 59.

Quoting - Well after Roy got into hot water for the Buffalo image ...

All images, texts, and article in any book are jointing owned and copyrighted by the author and the publisher. As an author I must agree to protect those images. As the publisher also holds a derivative copyright on that book I can not grant their - the publisher's - permission.

I spoke with Roy, he was a gentleman about the situation and very understanding. I do often give permission for this exact type of project for some of my patterns that I, and only I, hold the full copyright to.

Quoting - i was not going to carve snakes

My apologies for having chosen that particular topic as a tutorial the share here, it seems to have upset several people of this forum which was never my intentions.

Sincerely. Lora

Last edited:
Guess i got the wrong book. My bad. I am going to do a wood spirit now anyhow. Nice book i got anyway its the relief carving (wood spirit version revised edition).

Lora i dont think you upset anyone with the snake thing, just a issue of preference of creatures. I appreciate the role snakes play in the environment just dont like them as critters. If they could better discriminate who they bite and leave me alone would be cool. ;)

Roy, give your local library a call and see if they can get a copy send to their location. Its Wildlife Carving in Relief, Second Edition 2009, ISBN number978-1-56523-448-2 . Then when they do get another library to sent it you can make copies of the pages you need on the copier there or on your home scanner.

Lora

PS ... as for doing a wood spirit, I have one in the plans for after Christmas. But even bigger news is that Walnut Hollow has given me permission to post an in-depth relief carving I did for them several years ago of a mule deer buck portrait centered on an arrow head with feather, fur, and braid accents. That one will come right after the Wood Spirit face.

Attachments

• step0048closeup.jpg
    step0048closeup.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
HI Rob here is a picture of the book I used in my classes here an at Woodcraft, you can't go wrong by having this book in your collection like I do. Starting next year my beginners level class will be changing books thought an moving this one to the intermediated level. Lora has a great set of books out there + patterns, I hoping soon to have a new pattern for the forum an with Lora's help we can get the carving part of this forum hopping, but that's for another thread coming up soon

DSC02524.jpg

What do you consider to be the beginner's book? Or more specifically, what would be a beginner's book for carving in the round, like wood spirits, cane/walking stick toppers, and such in the whimsical genre?

What do you consider to be the beginner's book? Or more specifically, what would be a beginner's book for carving in the round, like wood spirits, cane/walking stick toppers, and such in the whimsical genre?
Carol not sure what the real carvers use, but the one I first started using was"Tom Wolfe Carves Woodspirits" and walking sticks. I also have " how to carve wood" by Richard Butz. This is a book on technique, and projects. Lets here what the experts think.

The two books that Stephen has suggested are excellent, Carol. You might also want to pick up a copy of Theo Fossel's Walking & Working Sticks, The Apostle Press, 1987, 1993, ISBN 1 869988 01 9.

It is not about how-to-carve, but it is stuffed full on good, solid info on what woods to use, how to construct your cane, wood bending, joinery, finishes ... in my opinion, a must-have book for any cane carver.

- Lora

Sorry for hijacking this thread but one of the things that I need to add to my technique is carving hair, fur and feathers, any book suggestion as well on that matter?