Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: a new commission....

a new commission....

last weekend at the holiday boutique at the ymca, i spoke with this older gent about my woodworking, and he asked if i made larger items. i said that i did, and what did he have in mind? he told me about their trip to normandy,
    and how they were smitten with the monument they saw on omaha beach called 'the brave'. smitten to the point where it had influenced the redecorating their living room. almost all curves, he said, and using influences of the
    monument. he said that they had just had a walnut mantel put in over the fireplace, and wanted a mantel clock for it, that would be in keeping with the rest of the living room. i told him that i would be happy to give it a try, and
    send him a rendered version of what i came up with. he liked the first version, and asked for a modification. they liked the second version, but asked to see what it would look like with one of the items moved behind the main
    item (no problem since it was still electrons). he said that the third version was perfect, and wanted to know my price, and possible delivery time. i reminded him of our conversation at the y, and that the shop was shut down for
    the winter, and that the earliest i could get to it would be early march. they were happy with the price and the march delivery time. i told him that the time until then would be spent doing up working drawings, ordering the clock
    insert, etc. we were in complete agreement that i should take the first version and enter it in next year's competition at the state fair. here are the pics....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails omaha_5b.jpg   mantel clock idea rendered.jpg   mantel clock mk2.jpg   mantel clock mk3.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Looks great, Dan. My pref would've been for #1, but hey, the customer is always right, eh?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

looks great Dan!
    -Ned

Very nice! My vote would have been for #2, but all three designs do a great job of capturing the feel of the monument.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I like #1 the best as well Nice pieces, should be fun to make.

What insert would you use for this? Looking at the klockkit site I'm seeing depths from 3/4 to 15/16 for the round inserts so was curious about that part..

i've just ordered the insert from clockworks, it is an #f7, 3 1/2" diameter, ivory face with arabic numbers, fits a 3" diameter, 11/16" deep hole. both upright parts of the clock are 1 inch thick each.
    benedictione omnes bene

quick update: plans have been drawn full size, and ready to be transferred to cardstock to make templates. the clock insert should be here on monday.
    benedictione omnes bene

quick update: plans have been transferred to the cardstock and cut out. the good michigan chocolate showed up on saturday (thanks again larry!), the clock insert showed up today (had to swap out the gold for the silver bezel), and the patterns have been laid out on the lumber. now i just have to figure out what wood (maple, birch, hickory...) will stain to a nice sandy color for the base. other than that, its bide my time until spring time, and the shop is open again.

on a different note, one of our guards wants me to design a pair of shoe racks, one for him, and one for her.... (gonna be very busy this spring i think....)
    benedictione omnes bene

another quick update: picked up a nice bit of sandy colored white oak, with fairish straight grain for the base today. also picked up a nice bit of white oak with crotch grain for the clock for the fair.
    benedictione omnes bene

been a bit, but here's what is new with this project (other than waiting for spring to get here). now that i have pics of the items in question, the large and small walnut scimitars, the white oak to be used for the base, the finish to be used (wipe on poly, with a satin finish), and the clock insert to be used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 walnut main scimitar.jpg   002 walnut secondary scimitar.jpg   003 white oak base.jpg   004 finish to be used.jpg   005 silver bezel clock insert.jpg  

benedictione omnes bene