a new commission....

got a bit more done today. got the mortising machine set back down to it's original height (raised it for the chairs last year), swapped out the blade in the band saw for the cutting of the parts. got the tenoning jig reset for cutting the right size tenons. then commenced to cut the tenons on the scimitars, then cut and sanded the curves on the two scimitars. all that is left is a bit of sanding, assembling, and finishing.

Attachments

• 012 start of tenons.jpg
    012 start of tenons.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 013 tenons cut.jpg
    013 tenons cut.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 014 ready for sanding.jpg
    014 ready for sanding.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 19
if i remember correctly, i think it was a little under 12" tall. been sicker than all get out since about 3 this morning. the big v, but only once, the big d (about every 25 min or so), plus scooting along at a little over 101 degrees. chatted with the nurse practitioner, and she said as long as there was no blood (either way), and not a real high fever, the best thing is rest (horizontally), try to keep getting fluids in to offset any chance of dehydration. as far as the sleep goes, i've been fading in and out, sleeping for about a half hour, then waking up. going to try to eat a banana, see if it stays down. on the other hand, the scale says i've dropped about 15 lbs (living off the fat of the land, so to speak).

Yikes! Sorry to hear this.

Keep shoveling in the fluids. If you can get someone to fetch you some Gatorade dilute it scout three to one and drink that, our just as a tsp of sugar and a wee pinch of salt to your water. The little bit of salts and sugar help absorption a lot. Thin broth is good as well.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Wow, Dan! That's not the way I'd want to spend a weekend!!! Glad you're doing better and hope you improve quickly. Ryan mentioned the way I take care of dehydration - lots of Gatorade plus I like cranberry juice.

well, another step has been taken on this today. stopped over to forest product supply today, and they will be cutting a good, snug fit for the clock insert with their big cnc machine. i was thinking about using a 3" forstner bit, but it would have been a close call as to it having it's point poking out the backside. estimated time to getting it back, considering their schedule, is roughly the end of this month.

I don't see a problem with the hole being open in back. That is how time is set, batteries changed, etc. The hole doesn't have to be perfect since the bezel covers it. You could have actually just carved the depression with chisles although the CNC route will be neater.

neatness counts frank, just as sister helena once told me. thanks for the kind thoughts gang, feeling much better now. back to work tomorrow, and once again waiting for the temps to improve. 37 degrees right now.

Hope you're feeling better. Had the same symptoms a couple weeks back, no fun what so ever. Lost several pounds, but gained most of them back when my appetite returned.

got more done over the last couple of days. got the locations for the mortises laid out, sanded the walnut parts to 220, cut the mortises, and did the first test setup. this weekend will be the sanding of the base to 220, a quick coat of blo to bring out the grain, then several thin coats of the satin finish wipe on poly.

Attachments

• 015 mortises laid out on base.jpg
    015 mortises laid out on base.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 016 walnut parts sanded.jpg
    016 walnut parts sanded.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 18
  • 017 mortises cut.jpg
    017 mortises cut.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 17
  • 018 first test setup.jpg
    018 first test setup.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 20
got a bit more squared away today. did the final sanding and assembly. when the glue had set, gave it the coat of blo. now it will be time for the wipe on poly.

Attachments

• 019 final assembly.jpg
    019 final assembly.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 020 coated with blo.jpg
    020 coated with blo.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 16
hit it with the first coat of wipe on poly yesterday afternoon. gave it a light sanding with 320 today, going to try to get the second coat on today, or tomorrow morning. i figure 3 coats altogether, then some paste wax after it has cured.