Thread: Positioning Round Parts in SU

Positioning Round Parts in SU

I made a locking bolt with knob in SU but I am finding it hard to place in position in the model. I made it a component and when I use the move tool I cannot get it to pick up on the center of the knob face.

Suggestions/Help

Some uh us don'ta speaka da acronmyeesee tu gudda. What are you talking about?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Frank, Frank, Frank. Am I gonna hafta come over there and lead you by the hand?

Keith, would you be willing to either post the model--you can do it as a zip file--or e-mail it to me so I can see it?

Also, take a look at the Zip file in my first post in this thread. Maybe that will give you some help.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...read.php?t=585

Let me know if you have questions.
    I'll look. But his post was #1, mine was #2, now yours was #3. Wats the "my first post" you are referring to?

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    You haven't had your coffee yet have you, Frank?

I was referring to my first post in the thread to which I posted the link.
    I did find it. Sorry, but instead of playing games, it sure would help folks to just tell 'em what is being talked about. I still don't know.

Here is the SU file with the round part. I am trying to center the part on the the support post flush to the outside of the adjustable support. On layers 3,5,6.

Frank: Im sorry that I was to lazy to type SketchUp and used the SU instead.

Dave: I have looked at your move tutorial and am able to move rectangular parts as the program feeds back when it snaps to corners, edges, etc. With the round part I only get the edge and can't find the center on the face. I have decided to go back and edit the component and add lines that intersect at the center of the dia on each end of the part. I may even add a line for the centerline of the the diameters.
    Last edited by Keith Krueger; 04-21-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: edited to add comments to Frank and Dave

That's another one for me to file away, Dave. Thanks. I've wrestled with similar moves of round objects, so next time it happens, I'll come find this thread.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com