Positioning Round Parts in SU

Keith Krueger

I made a locking bolt with knob in SU but I am finding it hard to place in position in the model. I made it a component and when I use the move tool I cannot get it to pick up on the center of the knob face.

Suggestions/Help

Frank, Frank, Frank. Am I gonna hafta come over there and lead you by the hand? :rofl:

Keith, would you be willing to either post the model--you can do it as a zip file--or e-mail it to me so I can see it?

Also, take a look at the Zip file in my first post in this thread. Maybe that will give you some help.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=585

Let me know if you have questions.

I'll look. But his post was #1, mine was #2, now yours was #3. Wats the "my first post" you are referring to? :doh:

Here is the SU file with the round part. I am trying to center the part on the the support post flush to the outside of the adjustable support. On layers 3,5,6.

Frank: Im sorry that I was to lazy to type SketchUp and used the SU instead.

Dave: I have looked at your move tutorial and am able to move rectangular parts as the program feeds back when it snaps to corners, edges, etc. With the round part I only get the edge and can't find the center on the face. I have decided to go back and edit the component and add lines that intersect at the center of the dia on each end of the part. I may even add a line for the centerline of the the diameters.

Attachments

• PushBlockThinStripRip.zip
    20.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
That's another one for me to file away, Dave. Thanks. I've wrestled with similar moves of round objects, so next time it happens, I'll come find this thread. :thumb: