Time for More Clamp Racks

glenn bradley

This is not an example of a beautifully tapered leg for a demilune table but, it does show a use for the jig. I am just cutting some "arms" for more of my version 2 clamp racks. The "catcher" board is something I made years ago out of an old finish sample board. There are large rare earth magnets sunk into the bottom and a few strokes of rubber dip to act as a traction aid. There are also a couple of t-bolt holes for when I use it on my non-ferrous router table as a supporrt for long boards when using the tablesaw sled but, here I am using the magnets and rubber to keep it put.

Taper Jig In Use (1).jpg

Here I am setup to make a run. I can do the whole operation with my hands and body well clear of the blade. This must be what guys with big sliders feel like all the time :).

Taper Jig In Use (2).jpg

I make the cut, kill the saw and by the time I have the next blank in place the blade is stopped and I can safely grab the off-cut.

Taper Jig In Use (3).jpg

This really let me plow through these quickly and safely.

Taper Jig In Use (4).jpg

Last edited:
Putting the parts together. I use long #10 screws from the back. the upper screw threads through the 3/4" oak dowel to act as a barrel-nut.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (16).jpgCleat Clamp Rack V2 (17).jpgCleat Clamp Rack V2 (18).jpg

Let it be known that i WILL be stealing this idea lock stock and barrel. (now where did that phrase come from:huh:) :D:rofl:

The downside of buying new tools as in clamps is having to make a home for them, but in this case heck its well worth it. Dealing with parallel clamps is like weight lifting them suckers are heavy.

If you're going to go lock, stock and barrel I better re-show this feature. Clamps are heavy and hang over things I value ;-) I also live where the ground moves. A pair of cut off double-head nails make easily removable pins. The pins are situated to project under the cleat rail which keeps the fixture from lifting off the rail due to any emergent conditions.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (21).jpg . Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (22).jpg . Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (20).jpg

This thread is starting to wander but I swear, it all comes back to more clamp racks :). I needed to get rid of an old pegboard panel that has been rendered redundant by my new wall hung tool cabinets. First my large carpenter's squares need to move into the wall cabinet. The cleats are directly behind where I want to mount so I'll use plastic sleeves on some screws instead of pegboard pegs. I add a cupped magnet to keep the squares inclined to stay put.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (23).jpg . Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (24).jpg . Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (25).jpg

Now I can move over a couple of cordless tools that I like to keep handy.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (26).jpg

This lets me remove the pegboard panel and replace it with the newly built clamp racks. Now most bar clamps are along this wall. The area in front of the racks stays open as it is primarily operator position for the bandsaw, the spindle/disk sander, access to the wall mounted cabinet or step stool access to reach the longer rack in the overhead area.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (27).jpg

I still have some room for any late additions without having to re-org again but, if I do, the cleat system makes it really simple :thumb:.

Last edited: