made a scratch call

Just finished up a Scratch call. Wednesday I drove out to Morgan Town WV to visit an old friend Keith Castel. Gun make, engraver master. I told Keith I was making turkey calls and he said I have something for you. So I get there and he pulls out a scratch call made in the 1850's he thinks, judging from where he found it in an old addic in Shapsburg. He copyed and made hundreds of these back in the 70's, he gave me the pattern told me I can make them know. The call is known as "Old Faithful" Keith played it on a slab of slate then he pulled out one of my pot calls and played it on the pot call
....WOW ! Awesome sharp crisp, raspy, laud, creating that sort of echo tone of a hen back in the woods. I made 3, then finally hit the right angles depth in the box. These old time'rs knew a thing or two. It will be a great addition in the bag. Rock Maple scratch call. Keith said he never put a finish on his calls because it deadens the tone. So these will be rough to keep the tradition going.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about turkey calls like that, I don't hunt anything anymore.. and you don't need turkey calls here.... You can find them all over the island! We were staying at a condo in Waikoloa (west side of the island) and they made it difficult for the golfers on the golf coarse!! We got the neighbors upset when my nieces hubby was teaching me to cluck like a hen and was bringing in all the Toms and Jakes to our room balcony LOL ;)

John I split a 3x3 piece of slate to scratch on but the best sound is used by scratching on the pot call. Gives that double throat'ed guttural sound, it really cool. I will get a video up soon.