A very special project to me - may I?

Jason Beam

So I haven't posted much new stuff here in awhile. That's my fault ... some of you know I run my own forum and I tend to put all my new stuff there. But I thought that this project I'm on lately would appeal to a lot of the folks here... at least I hope so.

It involves a lot of things - CNC, Hand Tools, Luthiery - but just generally a good range of standard woodworking functions so I figured General made the most sense. I'm certain I'll have some questions along the way and there are quite a few guitar builders here that might have some great answers. So that's the reasoning ... now on to the project...

Some of you may know that I'm an unhealthily obsessed fan of Eric Clapton. No other artist has come anywhere near the importance, influence, comfort, inspiration, fun, exciting, consoling, therapeutic and just general soul-enriching power over me as his music and his life. His music has gotten me through some of the toughest time in my life. I'd give quite a lot to be able to tell him how important he's been to me in person.

Anyway - because of that, and because I had such a good time building my first guitar a couple years ago - an acoustic, from rough stock, no less - I figured I'd take it easy this time and try to pay homage to the music of a man who's been there for me for a very long time. Something simple, you know? Nothin' tough like some acoustic guitar ... no no ... let's take it easy this time, right?

Sure.

Easy, he said.

GUFFAW.

I have decided to take on building, as historically close as I possibly can, the very first NEW guitar that Eric bought himself. This guitar is the 1964 Gibson ES-335. For those who don't know, this is a semi-hollowbody electric. It's basically the combination of a solid body electric that's built very much like a hollow body acoustic. If you don't think you've heard of it, you probably have -- Chuck Berry's famous guitar was a similar model. BB King's Lucille is a fancied up version (a 355). They're very well known for their tone ... a good quacky, squawky, honk type sound ... And their construction is VERY unique -- not carved like an archtop, but bent ... very very interesting challenge ... Read: NOT EASIER, not by a long shot. LOL!

Oh - and I'm going to video the entire process - from testing techniques and building jigs to the setup and final playing (if i get that far)...

This is the part where I must apologize to you all as a whole. Those of you who are my friend on facebook know this project started awhile ago. I've already shot a good deal of footage and have released a few videos already and I had this feeling in my gut all along that I should be sharing this with you all since there's such a great musical and luthiery friendly audience here. I didn't at first, and I should've - so I'm sorry for that. But I have gotten over those blocks and hope some of you will find this endeavor useful, interesting, entertaining, or at least comical.

This project is probably the most emotionally attached project I've built thus far. I hope you all can get something out of my journey as well ... I'll post the first 4 parts here, to get everyone caught up. I am releasing one part per week so that I can spread the process out a bit - and buy myself time to wait for parts or tools to ship and keep a steady stream of updates for everyone.

Anyway - hope some of you get a kick out of this kinda format...

Here's Part 1:

Last edited:
Oh - i should probably mention - my videos aren't short ... Youtube is basically my television these days and I really like the longer format videos that don't skip over important details so I strive to ensure I don't jump to something I haven't shown at least a couple times before. For some that may be boring, and for that, I'm sorry. For those who do like that stuff, hopefully this is right up your alley!

Anyway - here's part 2:

Jason, thanks for bringing this build here. I'm really enjoying it and got through three before the wife dragged me off to bed last night. Great shop, nice presentation and I really like your approach,:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hi Jason :wave:

May you?????? in my view you certainly may. :thumb: Thanks for sharing your build here because failing you sharing it i for one would never have seen it and that would be a tragedy.

Got so many comments don't know where to start.

First you got a great shop and setup, guess you would like a bit more space, now i know why a building a client of mine just purchased was sooooo appealing to me. 34 000 sq ft. LOL. Don't think many of us "nerds" (if that's what we gonna call ourselves) would have a problem filling it either.

Very good videos I for one like all the detail and your narration people that don't well they can hit fast forward or stick to watching the adverts on tv for entertainment:rofl:.

Then i guess we should add something to this thread that's missing... a little background on the man himself courtesy of the BBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8WKyrQyl7c

Thanks for showing your vacuum bagging thats precisely what i am in the process of setting up myself. Could you add a few pics of your actual tank setup if you have a moment to spare please.

Other thing is where do you guys find these propane torches with pipes on them. All i can find here in Canada is the tank attached torch which i just don't understand why? Because it adds the weight of propane to holding the torch part steady if one is using it on a soldering joint. Looks like i got another online purchase coming.

Love that CNC you have setup.

Only thing i think is missing from your series of videos is the image of the overall project so i looked up a picture of the actual guitar. Is this it?

gibson-1963-es-335-block-reissue-cherry-2013-edition-625532.jpg

So is this somebody's imitation version you got in your hands?

PICT0101.jpg

Btw tapping on that wood had me realize the sound board effect so it was not for naught. :)

And i aint able to play a note on a guitar but i like Clapton and all other guitar music.

Looking forward to the rest of the series .....and learning a ton. :thumb:

Rob - yep , that's the one i'm making - i should've included a photo, sorry for that and thanks for digging one up!

I love that bbc docu - i hunt down and watch every snippet of video i can find of him and that one is a good one. You should see "Eric Clapton's Rolling Hotel" -- it's pretty interesting, too.

That Gretsch I was "playing" at Brent's is similar - tho, I think it's a fully hollow body archtop. I'm not sure i'd call it a copy, but it's a similar style, for sure. Definitely thicker. I think it was either the inspiration for or was inspired by the larger archtops played by guys like T-Bone Walker. I'll build one of those someday, too :D

Jason using a cnc is not cheating. The Luther I work for uses a cnc to cut out the parts for his guitars but their is still a lot of hand work involved. The cnc allows us to cut parts while we are working on something else.

Every part that comes of the cnc has to be planed or scraped to get the proper finish.

When we cut out the top for an arch top or a semi hollow we first flatten one side on the cnc with a fly cutter then flip it over to make it a consistent thickness for what we are making.

After that I drill the holes that will allow me to fasten it to the table and then proceed to plane the surface flat and smooth free of all machining tool marks all the while checking with a straight edge.

We then carve out the inside of the top and drill the locating pins. Before I remove and flip it over I need to scrape the areas where the sound holes will be cut.

I flip it over and screw it down to the table and proceed to carve the outside of the top.

Once thats done I scrape the top where the sound holes will be cut to again remove all machine tool marks and then proceed to cut the sound holes.

After that we cut the pockets for the pickups if it's a semi hollow and then proceed to cut the profile of the top.

From there it's taken and attached to a form for complete scraping so that the top can be tuned for the proper sound.

Oh great. Now I have to carve out even MORE of my scant pare time to get caught up on your videos. :rolleyes: :D Just kidding of course, I'm looking forward to seeing them all. :thumb:

Having played your first guitar, I know you're capable of making a very high-quality instrument. And knowing that this one is in homage to your favorite guitarist, I can only imagine how sweet it's gonna be to play once it's done. I sure hope I get a chance to try it someday. :guitar:

But really...Clapton? :rolleyes: Not the real guitar giants like Paul Stanley or Peter Tork? :rofl:

Here we go with part 6!

I forget what's in it now ... lol - i need to keep better track of this stuff :p

Edit: Oh yeah - kerfed lining in mahogany, that's right!

Tiny little sneak peek ... today's current state of the body:

SDC12973.jpgSDC12974.jpg

Gotta repair the tail portion where i cut the sides a little short - but just a little inlay/insert thingy should take care of that. Stay tuned! :D