My introduction and wood working life

Dennis Gerard

My introduction

Started wood working when I was about 13 yrs old, designed my first piece of furniture when I was 13, it was a louvered front clothes hamper made from scarp from my fathers louver door business.
I nailed 2 boards to a louver I found in the corner and added a top to it and a piece of plywood for a back, wrapped it up and gave it to my mom... Well my father seen it and his eyes lid up and you could see $$$$$ signs in his eyes. Christmas day 1965 he had me in the shop and we made a much nicer one, ended up selling them to sears for many years and made 1000 of them.

next after Vietnam came back and ran my father business for many years, then moved on to Hayward-Wakefield, Temple-Stuart, Athol Table in management, then opened up my own business making Grandfather clocks, coffee tables and yes more clothes hampers. Sold the business in 87 as most wood shops were moving to china. Worked in the food inspection business and ended up working at the University of Florida.

Retired in 2014 and opening up a small business for the love of woodworking

Sorry Dennis; I replied to this thread yesterday. It would seem that I didn't do the "Post Quick Reply" button...probably because I have lost some of my buttons.

Anyway, WELCOME to the group. I feel sure that you will like this group. They are generous with information, answering questions, etc. and greedy for pictures.

Enjoy and welcome again from Glenn's senile father,
JimB