Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Christmas Memories

S E Washington State

Great Christmas Memories

I was just remembering some of the seasonal traditions our family had that are now long gone. One of them that I remember as a kid was waiting for the arrival of the Sears and Roebuck Christmas Catalog. Once it arrived, my brothers and I spent hours going through the catalog, putting our initial by all the items we wanted. By the time Christmas came the catalog was pretty well worn out. My kids use to do it also when they were little. Just one of the silly little things that is now history.

And I will always remember this Christmas:

We use to draw names for who we bought a present for with our Aunts and Uncles that came for Christmas . One of my Uncles drew my name. About a week before Christmas he came over with my present all wrapped up only he had cut a small hole in the top of the package. He also brought along a small bag of cracked corn and told me I had to put a little in each day to feed whatever it was. Also, do not shake or move the package around or I might hurt it. I fed it each day and protected the package for a week until Christmas. When I got to open the package,,, it was a basket ball hoop!
    "We the People ......"

Humid Gulf Coast
    Being in the car with the heater on full, cold snow outside. Touring the neighborhoods looking at the light displays.

Boy, nothing warms me up like a car heater.

Where I'm at now, it might as well be the South Pacific.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Yorktown, Virginia
    Paul, great story!

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Smith View Post
    Being in the car with the heater on full, cold snow outside. Touring the neighborhoods looking at the light displays...
    Interesting...The wife and I did that just last night. Still fun!
    Jim D.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Great story Paul. It made me smile.

I've been told that I'm overly sentimental. Memories are worth a million bucks to me.
    I've got so many great memories from when I was a kid and when my kids were little that they would fill volumes.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Reno, Nv
    Like you Paul...Christmas memories bring us a lot of joy, and some sadness. Having no kids to pass traditions on to, we pass them to others during this season. Clam chowder (chowda in some circles...forgive my west coast-ness), Stocking madness, decorations of a fashion and giving to many others. My grandpa had a Matchbox Yellow Cab that would drive Santa to our house on Christmas. This time of year has always been filled with so much magic and fun for us...thanks for the reminder!!
    As for your tale...uncles rock!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Independence, Kentucky
    Thanks for the reminder Paul, Yes the Sears, and also the Montgomery Ward catalogs were a big hit with us 5 boys when we were growing up. By the time Christmas arrived they were pretty worn for sure.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

ABQ NM
    Great stories and memories, Paul. I love the well-fed basketball hoop story!

My sister and I used to wear out the Sears Toy Catalog. The Big Book also got a lot of views, but the Toy Catalog was the stuff dreams were made of. We'd sit together on the couch, flipping through the catalog page by page, and on each page we'd individually declare which of the toys was ours.

I also remember the anticipation of trying to figure out what was in the packages under the tree. One year I couldn't take it anymore, and I very carefully opened one end of the package enough to see that the box contained a pair of walkie-talkies. I was stoked! I still don't know the story behind it, but about a week later on Christmas morning I was surprised to discover a different box, and it contained a cassette tape player. (Turns out I got a lot more use out of that tape player than I would have a pair of walkie talkies.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Escondido, CA
    Ah yes, the catalogs! We were allowed to pick only one thing. That added a bunch of spice to the looking and trying to decide and we quickly learned there was a maximum price point. Over that and it was a no go. Christmas was also the time for new underwear and maybe new pajamas. Not so much fun. Unfortunately I don't have many good memories of Christmas. For me it was another time when favoritism of the siblings came out. Only two of the four of us were wanted children. That did not include me or my middle brother. To this day we are an estranged family. Sad, but it is what it is. Efforts to rectify that now that the parents are gone have been rejected. A lifetime of negativity is not easy to change. But keep the stories coming of good memories. These days I make my own memories and it is great to have models by way of your experiences.

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hans View Post
    Thanks for the reminder Paul, Yes the Sears, and also the Montgomery Ward catalogs were a big hit with us 5 boys when we were growing up. By the time Christmas arrived they were pretty worn for sure.
    And after Christmas they got relegated to the out house... usually lasted until the spring catalog arrived.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.