Thread: Drilling/Forstner Bit Extension?

Laurinburg NC

Drilling/Forstner Bit Extension?

I am looking how to drill a deep starter hole in a hollow form. I dont have a forstner bit extension so am wondering what most of you do.Probably 12" deep is sufficient for now...Maybe an easy way to make an extension would be good.

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    CSUSA has a pretty heavy duty 6" bit extension for about $20.... I didn't search long enough, but believe I earlier I saw one for about 9 or 10" long for not so much more.... by the time you get the steel, drill it, tap it, I would think you would be money ahead to just buy one.... with a 9" extension and the approx 3" length of the forstner, you'll have your 12" and save a lot of frustration.

I use mine to drill pepper mills and just keep it set up for the through hole with a 1 9/16" forstner in it.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Reno, Nv
    I used mine yesterday...using it for years. If you are boring for a mill of some kind, remember to drill from both ends to minimize the deflection caused by either the bit or grain. Pic when I can.
    Chuck...1-9/16" are hard to find!! Ordered a couple off Amazon, sucks they aren't found in the neighborhood.
    Mike, if you're just doing HF's...use an auger bit commonly found at a BORG.
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 12-19-2014 at 12:35 AM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots