Bandsaw Santa sleigh..PROJECT COMPLETE!

Rob Keeble

Well i had to switch projects today as SWMBO was getting nervous that her order would not be completed before its due date.

So this woodworker became an elf in Santas workshop and went at it cutting out the inner for a list of 12 Sleighs to go to all the people that got a Reindeer last year.

Last year everyone that received a reindeer asked where the sleigh was so warning if you make band-saw reindeer be ready for the question.

Here is my work in progress shots, this is the inner piece made from African mahogany simply because its what i had on hand that was thick enough without gluing up slabs.

This is my outer piece shape in pattern form.

20141218_202608.jpg

The inner piece i cut today

20141218_202537.jpg

The dozen cut
20141218_202516.jpg

This is the Santa that is destined to go in them test fit. Sides are just samples of thick cherry scraps i had on hand. Real pieces will be thinner and hopefully be mahogany if i have enough.

20141218_202523.jpg

Runner patter still to be mounted on Masonite and cut out then will cut from maple and re-saw.
20141218_202636.jpg

And i vouch for that Carter thin blade band saw guide it really helps with this kind of cutting. Bill i owe you one for recommending it.

More to come as i progress,

Not that happy with the shape but at this stage it is what it is. Wanted to make it longer and put some sweets in the back behind Santa but did not have enough wood for them all to be another inch longer.

Got in mind to try finish them with spray on finish water based EM6000 lacquer by target.

Last edited:
Critique: I'd resaw the side pieces to half their current thickness. It'll make the sleigh look less bulky.

Regarding finish: The EM6000 will work very well. Shoot two coats, sand with 220/320 when dry, then shoot a couple mote coats. They'll look great.

Allen its going to be indoors with water based finish and small gun but home made plastic shelter in basement made do shop.

Jim you right thats not the correct thickness wood, just test of the patter on scraps had on hand. Way too thick but its what i had to show it. Personally i dont like it. Its to much like a piece of dough thats flopped on a board. But I am only an Elf and so take da orders and make the goods. :rofl:

Very nice, Is that your pattern? And who makes all the Santas?

Hi Paul, well i downloaded a picture off the web and into photoshop and doctored it to suite Swmbo. So now it is mine. LOL If you want a copy i will happily send you one, i dont like it but that dont mean you dont have to like it. LOL

As to the Santas the dollarama store here provided them. They had a backpack loaded with small candies which i had hoped to put in behind santa but not to be.

Taking a break after following Mr Super Dude from the Carter you tube video, i broke my first blade on my bandsaw while resawing 5.5 inch mahogany slap. Got three nice even smooth strips cut then bam let go at its joint.

Now i am busy fiddling with the fancy tension adjust on this saw. Talk about marketing gadets. Oh Carol where were you when i was buying this saw. Live and learn.

Its got a laser cut cam which slots into different slots to set the tension, but have an issue like i have just had with blade break and boom its a mess and has to be setup again. I am taking a break trying to cool down. Was a good run while it was going.

Think yougest son and I will shut Santas workshop for the afternoon and go chill and have some sushi and catch up. Then do some shopping for the SWMBO oh and the list got longer so i got to pick up more Santas.

Closed for Lunch er maybe the rest of the day Eh !!!
santas-workshop.jpg

Gone Sushi fishing .............. . Pssst .....Dont tell the eh madam :)

pic3.jpg

Re: Bandsaw Santa sleigh...ss...

Well all 12 are now assembled and sanded to a point. The sleigh rails were a disaster and after cutting 24 in hard maple suffering loads of snapping and skew cuts etc doing it on bandsaw due to old iron scroll saw not shaping up i ended up putting them in the garbage bin.
Have a new design simpler and some more maple ready to go. Going to make them thicker and simpler and tomorrow hopefully get the whole lot done and sprayed. Here is what one looks like with the mahogany sides and sanded.
uploadfromtaptalk1419304378480.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I must've been snoozing' I've missed the progress on these. What a great Christmas piece. The lines on the sleight are just right for your little Santa's and the skids are a detail that set them apart. I really enjoy doing a series of items for Christmas time. I just have to reign myself in and keep them simple or they end up being inappropriate Valentine's Day gifts :rofl:. Merry Christmas Eve my fellow Elves!