Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reciprocating Saw Question: Is Orbital Worth It?

Reciprocating Saw Question: Is Orbital Worth It?

The thread title sums it up. I'm looking to buy a reciprocating saw...Milwaukee is my main choice. They sell saws with and without the "orbital" action. Is the extra cutting effectiveness worth the additional cost, as well as the extra bulk and weight in the motor and gear housing?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Neither of my recip saws have orbital action, so I can't answer from that perspective. My Bosch and Milwaukee jigsaws both have orbital settings, though, and the only time I ever switch it off is when I'm cutting metal. It's very worthwhile on a jigsaw.

Recip saw? YMMV...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Well, if it was for me and it would cut out my extra bullk, I'm sure Family Woodworking members would say it would be worth it.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I should mention that my intended use is to cut a few holes in walls (doggie door and a range hood venting out the wall). I'll also likely use it for some of the upcoming kitchen reno, particularly to remove the soffits. So I'm not talking about a lot of use, but some of it may be in awkward or confined positions. That's why the non-orbital model (and its more slender size) is appealing.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I should mention that my intended use is to cut a few holes in walls (doggie door and a range hood venting out the wall). I'll also likely use it for some of the upcoming kitchen reno, particularly to remove the soffits. So I'm not talking about a lot of use, but some of it may be in awkward or confined positions. That's why the non-orbital model (and its more slender size) is appealing.
    Seen this one? It's lightweight, but powerful, and the batteries last pretty well. It's available as a 'bare tool,' if you already have other 18V Milwaukee stuff.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I vote for this one
    http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reco...ce-low-to-high

I have a bosch electric recip saw and have hammered it with all sorts of abuse.
    This wont break bank and will do job and leave money for guitars and other reno costs. Lets be real how often do we use these as homeowners.
    The key i found out is using good blades. After i think it was Bill or Jim set me straight on the right blade oh man it was day and night and i was hacking at metal not 2x4's and drywall.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

I have a dewalt corded and a little porter cable battery powered one.

The battery powered one doesn't last long, but it sure comes in handy in weird places like attics and crawl spaces.

Like DaTrapper says, the blades make all the difference.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    I vote for this one
    http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reco...ce-low-to-high

I have a bosch electric recip saw and have hammered it with all sorts of abuse.
    This wont break bank and will do job and leave money for guitars and other reno costs. Lets be real how often do we use these as homeowners.
    The key i found out is using good blades. After i think it was Bill or Jim set me straight on the right blade oh man it was day and night and i was hacking at metal not 2x4's and drywall.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Can't argue with the man
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I had my eye on the corded 12 amp Milwaukee, but tonight I learned my brother in law has a Sawzall I can borrow. Since my only immediate need was to cut a hole in the wall for a doggie door, cut another hole in the wall for a stove vent, and remove a couple of soffits in the kitchen, I'll just buy some good blades and use his. I'll save the money for something else. Like a wood stove in the shop.

I had an 18v Ryobi cordless saw that was OK for what I originally purchased it for (removing old rain gutters), but the batteries didn't hold much of a charge and they completely died within about a year. If I ever do buy another recip saw, I'll most likely be buying a corded one.

workingwoods.com