Reciprocating Saw Question: Is Orbital Worth It?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
The thread title sums it up. I'm looking to buy a reciprocating saw...Milwaukee is my main choice. They sell saws with and without the "orbital" action. Is the extra cutting effectiveness worth the additional cost, as well as the extra bulk and weight in the motor and gear housing?

Neither of my recip saws have orbital action, so I can't answer from that perspective. My Bosch and Milwaukee jigsaws both have orbital settings, though, and the only time I ever switch it off is when I'm cutting metal. It's very worthwhile on a jigsaw.

Recip saw? YMMV...

I should mention that my intended use is to cut a few holes in walls (doggie door and a range hood venting out the wall). I'll also likely use it for some of the upcoming kitchen reno, particularly to remove the soffits. So I'm not talking about a lot of use, but some of it may be in awkward or confined positions. That's why the non-orbital model (and its more slender size) is appealing.

I should mention that my intended use is to cut a few holes in walls (doggie door and a range hood venting out the wall). I'll also likely use it for some of the upcoming kitchen reno, particularly to remove the soffits. So I'm not talking about a lot of use, but some of it may be in awkward or confined positions. That's why the non-orbital model (and its more slender size) is appealing.

Seen this one? It's lightweight, but powerful, and the batteries last pretty well. It's available as a 'bare tool,' if you already have other 18V Milwaukee stuff.

I vote for this one
http://www.cpotools.com/factory-rec...ch-reconditioned-saws&srule=price-low-to-high

I have a bosch electric recip saw and have hammered it with all sorts of abuse.
This wont break bank and will do job and leave money for guitars and other reno costs. Lets be real how often do we use these as homeowners.
The key i found out is using good blades. After i think it was Bill or Jim set me straight on the right blade oh man it was day and night and i was hacking at metal not 2x4's and drywall.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I have a dewalt corded and a little porter cable battery powered one.

The battery powered one doesn't last long, but it sure comes in handy in weird places like attics and crawl spaces.

Like DaTrapper says, the blades make all the difference.

I vote for this one
http://www.cpotools.com/factory-rec...ch-reconditioned-saws&srule=price-low-to-high

I have a bosch electric recip saw and have hammered it with all sorts of abuse.
This wont break bank and will do job and leave money for guitars and other reno costs. Lets be real how often do we use these as homeowners.
The key i found out is using good blades. After i think it was Bill or Jim set me straight on the right blade oh man it was day and night and i was hacking at metal not 2x4's and drywall.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Can't argue with the man:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had my eye on the corded 12 amp Milwaukee, but tonight I learned my brother in law has a Sawzall I can borrow. Since my only immediate need was to cut a hole in the wall for a doggie door, cut another hole in the wall for a stove vent, and remove a couple of soffits in the kitchen, I'll just buy some good blades and use his. I'll save the money for something else. Like a wood stove in the shop. ;)

I had an 18v Ryobi cordless saw that was OK for what I originally purchased it for (removing old rain gutters), but the batteries didn't hold much of a charge and they completely died within about a year. If I ever do buy another recip saw, I'll most likely be buying a corded one.

For limited use an old fashioned, hand operated, keyhole saw might meet your needs. And/or shop the flea markets, for $5.00 you will probably be able to get one to use for your projects then put on a back shelf and forget. Mine is an ancient corded B&D I use less than once a year. But, as said, good blades are the key. I also have a newer battery B&D Firestorm never used. The batteries died quickly as most do. I'm getting to hate battery powered tools.:mad: But, I stray from subject.

I had my eye on the corded 12 amp Milwaukee, but tonight I learned my brother in law has a Sawzall I can borrow. Since my only immediate need was to cut a hole in the wall for a doggie door, cut another hole in the wall for a stove vent, and remove a couple of soffits in the kitchen, I'll just buy some good blades and use his. I'll save the money for something else. Like a wood stove in the shop. ;)

I had an 18v Ryobi cordless saw that was OK for what I originally purchased it for (removing old rain gutters), but the batteries didn't hold much of a charge and they completely died within about a year. If I ever do buy another recip saw, I'll most likely be buying a corded one.

I put my dewalt cordless against my friends ryobi cordless head to head and there was no comparison. The dewalt out cut and out lasted the ryobi by at least 3:1 (we were crosscutting bowling alley lanes and he'd do 1/2 of one and be out of juice while I was already through 1 1/2 and still going strong). Same blades. Not saying corded isn't nice, just don't hate all the cordless as much on behalf of the ryobi . The cordless is occasionally handy when your out at the back of the property and don't want to drag a cord.

For limited use an old fashioned, hand operated, keyhole saw might meet your needs....

I've got a couple of them, but I need something that can cut through a stucco extreior wall, as well as to demo with the potential of cutting through nails.

... Not saying corded isn't nice, just don't hate all the cordless as much on behalf of the ryobi . The cordless is occasionally handy when your out at the back of the property and don't want to drag a cord.

I agree...comparing the Ryobi to other cordless tools is like comparing an economy car to all automobiles. That said, the cordless Ryobi was very handy when I needed to work around the perimeter of of the house (while up on the roof) cutting down rain gutters. The current property is about 1/4 acre laid out in such a way that I think I can reach everywhere with one or two long extension cords. :thumb: Like I said upthread, I think I'll pass on buying a recip saw this time.

I have the Milwaukee, bought it for my first house and has been a work horse. I've not tried the bosch, but if it's anything like the rest I own, it's probably worth it looking at too.