Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Scorboard

Outdoor Scorboard

My nephew asked me this past summer if I could make him a scoreboard for his back yard. He has a HUGE back yard that is perfect for baseball, football, soccer, etc. All the neighborhood kids end up there during the warmer months to play some sport. I told him it would have to wait until next summer as I was to busy with other things. Of course I knew all along I would be making it for Christmas.

After some google and pinterest image searching, this is what I've come up with so far. The board is a 1/4" hardboard with chalkboard paint applied...lots of blue tape and measuring, more paint and a simple pine frame. All that is left is some clean up and applying the vinyl letters for Home, Visitor, Balls, strikes, outs and of course the numbers above for the innings. I also made tray for chalk and an eraser and a marquee shaped board to attach to the top that will say "The Penn" as his backyard is known. (last name is Pennington) It will hang on the side of the garage under the eave out of the weather so I hope it will last for quite awhile. He'll first open some chalk and an eraser and then I'll bring it in as it's a bit big to wrap...just over 4' x 2'. I'll post some finished pics and one of him with it after Christmas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141221_173757.jpg   20141221_113801.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Wow! That is going to be a crowd pleaser!!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

I have to admit my first thought was that I didn't know kids still played outside these days with all the computer games and gadgets!

But that looks like a great present, and should result in marginally less 'discussions' about what the score actually is!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I have to admit my first thought was that I didn't know kids still played outside these days with all the computer games and gadgets!

But that looks like a great present, and should result in marginally less 'discussions' about what the score actually is!
    Brent, I use to think the same thing...but in his neighborhood there is quite a bit of outside play. They just play for awhile and then head inside to play video games too...or they meet up online and play games.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

That's a very cool project, Jeff.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'd flash the top, won't do a lot, but certainly won't hurt.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    I'd flash the top, won't do a lot, but certainly won't hurt.
    Good idea Karl...I have a few pieces of white flashing on hand left over from the new roof this summer too.
    My Website

What no 7 segment super bright LEDS??? And no wifi app /internet interface to update it with a cell phone while in the game. ???

But i guess it is energy efficient and environmentally sound and will work when the power and internet are no longer around.

Well done Jeff, now if only i had a uncle like you. You're one DUDE man !!!!
    cheers

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Sure to score a hit!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

That's a great gift Jeff, I'm sure it will be a hit.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault